1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Year of EC: I Did It

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Wander, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As many of you may know, I posted a thread about whether or not to seize the opportunity and come out to my mom while my dad was away. Everyone there suggested that I go for it, and now I'm so glad I did.

Hot damn, it even got me to change my Mood for a day (but I'm still Tired).

After dinner, I sat back down with my mom at the dinner table. Usually, we just have dinner together while reading the newspaper, laughing at the stupid news, looking over the obituaries and sales, and enjoying it all. But tonight I brought a sketchpad I had already prepared the night before.

Before I get deep into it, know that I'm a terrible speaker. I get nervous and red-faced and choked up when I start talking about secret and/or personal things. Coming out verbally was out of the question. An email seemed too impersonal since she was already in the same house as me, and I couldn't write a letter and hand it to her as she read it, because I would have no idea when she finally got to the good part. So I got a giant sketchpad I've been saving for something, and I put it to use.

On each page, I wrote some minor secret about my life that I have never shared and assumed she hadn't found out about. Most of them are already in PostSecrets, but I added some new things like "I have never believed in a monster under the bed, but I did once believe that aliens would come in through my window". I sat across the table from her, silently, as I flipped through the pages. She laughed at some, passively agreed with the philosophical ones, and was a little surprised at others. One of the last pages told her that even though she had moved out of the house and into an apartment, I still thought she was a pretty good mom.

And...

I'm gay.

"Okay."

I wrote that I had never been in a relationship before so she didn't have to worry about that, I wrote that she still has my sister for grandchildren, and that I still didn't like fashion or drag or rainbows. I asked her never to use the words "choice", "lifestyle", or "abomination", which she confirmed she had never used anyway. I told her about PFLAG in case she had any questions, because she didn't ask me any other than "Do you dance?". She didn't ask if I was sure or if maybe it was just a phase, which I view as a positive thing. She thanked me for trusting her enough to tell her, hugged me a few times, and told me that all she wanted was for me to be happy, healthy, and honest. The rest didn't change anything.

Oh, and she confirmed that my aunt - one of her sisters - is gay, too. Somehow, I had already guessed that.

EC, thank you for your time, your support, and for listening.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Wow! What a great coming out! I have chills! Congratulations!!!!

3. Nodnarb

I believe this calls for some Dancing Bananas!(!)(!)(!)

Congrats!!!:grin:

Your mom is awesome!:slight_smile:

And all she asked was "Do you dance?"....seriously?:grin:

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, really. I even prompted her for questions twice, to which she said that she had none. As we were leaving the table, I saw a fashion ad in the newspaper lying on the floor. I picked it up, wrote "I don't like style, either" and she asked me in a joking tone, "Do you dance?"

"No, but I whistle."

5. HighintheClouds

Oh gosh... That's... just... GREAT!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on a picture-perfect coming-out scene! That could've so come from a movie. I could actually see it happening inside my head.

You're amazingly blessed to have such a wonderful mom.. Congrats congrats and congrats all over again to you! =)

6. Yayyyyy I'm happy for you :grin:

7. Myke

Myke Guest

Congrats! I'm glad everything went well

8. Amy

Amy

9. vampireboy56

vampireboy56 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)good job(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

10. Yay! (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

11. Starshine16

That was awesome! I got both chills and tears in my eyes from reading.Your mom is amazing.

Here are my dancing bananas as part of the celebration.

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

12. EM68

Thats great! (!)

13. isnessofwhatis

Congrats on coming out to your mom!!

I love that you did it in a unique way. Putting secrets on the sketchpad was BRILLIANT!

14. Derek the Wolf

Wow, that's great to hear. You'll have to forgive me not using a gratuitous number of dancing bananas.(!)

15. Seanboy23

And for another "dancing banana"-lite comment...

CONGRATS!!! That is awesome!! And it's ironic that she asked you just that one question... 'cuz her reaction should make you WANT to dance!!! Yayyy!!!

(disclaimer: I LOVE the dancing bananas. But it's early Thursday and I just got to work. They're just too damn happy for me right now. Lol!)

16. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Awww well done dude!!! That's brilliant :grin: I'm so glad it went so well for you!! :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

17. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Do you dance?"
    ^LOL

Congratz!! :grin: (!)

18. Aw! Thats brilliant! That was a stroke of genius with the sketchpad, well done and I'm really glad it all turned out as awesome as it did!

And you're more than welcome! We're always right behind you XD

19. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Amazing story :grin:

Contrats (&&&) !

20. I was waiting to see how this turned out. Good to know that things went so well.

Congratulations on finally telling your mother. :slight_smile: