1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I just came out to my mom :DDD

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Cheese Love, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Cheese Love

I still have no idea where this whole plan came out of- but as of four hours ago I still had no idea I was going to do it.

Everyone in my house was fighting hardcore and my mom was still calming down. Bad idea to bring it up, I know.. But I just can't, literally can't do it at too tranquil of a moment.

My sister came down and my mom was on a religous tangent with her; my mom was saying things she didn't like about our church. For the past 40 minutes I had been waiting for my older sister to leave so I could talk to my mom. Suddenly my mom brings up the fact that she hates the way the church is towards gay people, etc etc, brings up how she went to some Lutheran church election thing to change the policy towards homosexuals in the church a few years ago. Weird how she just brought that up huh?

Anyway... So my sis finally left!

It was silent for a little bit, I was sitting at the kitchen table and she was just standing at the counter telling me to go to bed, and then I asked her
    "Mom, do you love me?"
    "Of course."
    "Would you still love me If I were gay?"
    "Of course I would! [awkward silence] Why, are you gay?"
    And then I nodded.

And then she came over and hugged me, telling me she loved me no matter what, and that whenever she talks about supporting gay rights she always said it in hopes that it would pave the way for me and make it easier to tell her. And then she told me that she probably knew before I did :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: [I seriously don't doubt that]

She kept hugging me and telling me she's not judgemental and she loves me no matter what, and then asked me a few questions.
    "Was there ever a time you thought you knew?" / "Do you have any gay friends?" / "Do any of your friends know?" / "Do your sisters know?" / "Should I tell your dad?" /
    All of the questions were pretty painless and she was genuinely interested.

Heh, she also told me that when I go to college I should join all of the gay groups and stuff.
    She mentioned that my dad has a differing view on her, and that although he claims he wouldn't love his children any less about something like this, he's not being truthful.
    He's super conservative and also middle eastern and culturally (I'm not speaking for everyone, just my family personally) it's not accepted and that he's "had concerns" about me being gay, and my mom has gone "So what if she is? Does it matter?" And he's had iffy answers.

However, I'm not going to worry about that now! I don't much better yet, but I know this is a good thing in the long run and I'm really grateful that my mom is so cool about this <3

2. Starshine16

Congratulations!

Your mom sounds amazing.I am hopeful that my mom will be as amazing as yours sounds and I am hoping she takes the news well.

3. Myke

Myke Guest

Congrats! It sounds like you have a pretty cool mom.

4. Janvier

Congrats !!
    That's a great coming out :grin: Your mother seems really kind and accepting, I hope that (eventually) your dad will love you for who you are and be just as supportive as your mother :slight_smile:

5. ArcusPuer

hey congratulations! sounds like u have a pretty awesome mum there!

6. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out to your mom! :slight_smile:

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

awww.your mom sounds awesome.

8. Helen

Helen Guest

That's great news, congratulations! ^_^

I see where you're coming from about the middle eastern thing. I live in the UAE, so I've got a pretty good idea what you mean. You'd be surprised, though. Dubai happens to have a rather rampant gay community; it's just all very well hidden :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There are also certain 'intensities' of Islam, just like Christianity. It could be that despite your father's beliefs, he may not actually be as homophobic as you would expect.

I hope so, anyway. Congratulations on such a great response from your mum :grin:

9. Jacobs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations

10. EM68

Congrats! :slight_smile:

11. isnessofwhatis

Congrats to another Minnesotan coming out of the closet!! I think it is so awesome how your mom responded to you coming out.

I know you have fears about oficially coming out to your dad. I can't help but think that his views will change once you tell him. He may be upset at first but I think he will come around.

12. Seanboy23

Congratulations!! You are SO lucky to have at least one supportive parent. Hold on to that if things go less than well with your dad.

Yayyy!!!!!! :slight_smile:

13. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMFG!! You're so lucky!! Your mum is amaaazing!!

14. Miles D

Congrats! That sounds like it went quite well :grin:

15. Enaithor

Congrats!

*hugs you and your mum*

16. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

Congratulations matie!! I'm so pleased it all went so well for you - I love these happy stories :grin: Anyway, well done!!!!! :slight_smile:

17. Nodnarb

Congrats!!!

Another amazing mom!:grin:

18. biisme

You have a seriously awesome mom. No joke. That was a great response. Congratulations!!!

19. That's awesome! I love when mom's are great like that.

20. iPieman

Oh trust me, if she says something like that she's known before you ever did.

Congratulations!!