1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

comming out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by the cardturner, Jan 25, 2015.

1. the cardturner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So for a while I have been drafting a letter to my parents coming out as gay (I say a while but its been a year now) and I'm gonna give it too them soon but before I do I thought it would be a good idea to bounce it off an impartial group.

Mum and Dad

Ok so this is totally out of the blue and please read this very carefully as I don’t want to be misunderstood. I have drafted and re-drafted this letter so many times, each time I think it is just right then I can never print it but maybe this will be the final copy.

There is something that I need to tell you, it is a weight that I have been carrying for years now, and, to be frank I just cant be assed anymore. Its taken so much effort and emotional stress to keep this weight hidden and off the ground.
    In the past few months my amazing friends have lessened that weight significantly.

However it is time. What I’m going to tell doesn’t change the fact that I love you so much but I need to telly you, I am Gay. I have wanted to tell you that for so long, and I hate the distance that has grown between us in the past months and years. I have not changed and I still love you so much.

I am sure before you ask, never have I been more sure of anything, I have had 3 years to come to terms with my sexuality, 3 years of pondering late at night whilst you were asleep, 3 years of wondering when to tell you and how I could tell you. 3 years of imagining every scenario possible from your acceptance of me to the possibility that you will throw me out.

People have a great many choices in life but this is not one of them, I never chose to be gay, but I tell you this, if you gave me the choice of being straight I would say no. For the first time in my life I know who I am and I wouldn’t change that.

I hope you can accept me for who I am and sorry for not having the guts to tell you face to face but this was the easiest way for me to tell you and I have wanted to tell you for so long.

If perchance I have offended think but this and all may be mended, I am still the same son you had when you opened this letter. And if you cant see that then I must love you and leave you.

I love you so much,

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [...]
    Personally, i would remove that. We both know that this is true and perfectly ok, but it may confuse some parents. If they bring on the discussion about "orientation therapy" or something like that (probably they wont, right?), then you may say that, but i think it is unecessary for now. It is best to make it clear that you aren't choosing to be gay (even if you would if you could).

I would remove this too. Personal preference i think.

Apart from that, i think it is a very nice letter.

Keep us updated on how it goes :slight_smile:

Hugs, good luck

3. the cardturner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ok thank you,
    I wasn't sure of the last bit as I wrote it.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're welcome.

If you remove that last bit, it still reflects what you are feeling?