1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused for the straight friend haha

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by buriedinhw7, Oct 30, 2008.

1. buriedinhw7

Well I came out to myself in 2004. Which led to me coming out to my best friends back home (I went to uni out of state) They are the best. They really supported me and before I could say anything else they told me that they still loved me no matter what. That meant so much to me. I grew up with them and they were like a second family to me. In college I only came out to a few people because I didn't want to have to face any negativity when I really needed to concentrate on my degree.

When I started working I really had no intention of coming out, just because I didn't see a point, but at the same time I wasn't going to lie about my sexuality. Well the Christmas party rolled around last year and I invited my best friend to come along, since I hadn't become close to my coworkers yet. My best friend has short hair and everyone mistakes her for a lesbian, even though she's straight. So naturally everyone assumes that she was my girlfriend. It's become a running joke for us. We are either mistaken for a couple or I'm mistaken as her straight friend (lol).

So the gossip mill started running at my work and one day they asked me how she was doing. I was confused and it went something like this:

"So how's Nikki?"
    "um... fine... I guess... why?"
    "We just wanted to know! Is everything ok between you two?"
    "um... yes? we're still friends." *confused*
    "You two broke up?"
    "WAIT WHAT?!"

So I laughed and set them straight, that she was straight, but I was indeed not. But they still love me which is awesome. I talk about hot women with the guys, and teach some of the women about sports, and I get threatened with girly makeovers. I <3 them a lot. So now I'm really open with them. It's great.

I'm just terrified of telling my family. My mom is very anti-gay, ultra conservative, the works. Some of the things she says makes me really sad. I'm out to a few of my cousins, who love and accept me, but we all definitely agreed that the rest of the family needs to wait. Pretty much I'm waiting until I find someone I am willing to risk getting disowned for. Terrible I know.

2. Zulu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol what a great story!

Sorry to hear about your mom, though. That situation really sucks.

3. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

That's hilarious.

4. buriedinhw7

Yeah, they were all disappointed. Apparently they all referred to her as "My cute white girlfriend" for the longest time. So now I call her and say hello cute white girlfriend, and she'll respond with "Well hello my hot Asian girlfriend" So childish yes, but entertaining. She's much cuter than I am. hehe

Thanks TClovescheese. My assistant manager thinks I should tell my family sooner rather than later, but I don't think I'm quite that brave yet.

5. Zulu

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't let your assistant manager make you feel rushed or anything. Just take your time and I bet things will work out for you.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about your anti-gay mom...you'd be surprised how many parents are willing to let go of their prejudices and feelings of hate when it comes to their own flesh and blood.

- TC