1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my teacher..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by choirsmash, Jan 30, 2015.

1. choirsmash

I have only come out to one person so far. The only person I knew would understand and support me 100%. I have only known him since August, interesting how that works isn't it? I'm a senior in high school right now and I recently just kinda thought maybe I'm not straight and realized that it would explain a lot of things about me. I'm still not quite sure where I am, but I know I'm not straight. Anyway I'd like to share my story of coming out to him.
    So this guy is my music teacher, he's openly gay and he's already helped me through other life issues. I'm pretty close to him and he's the only person I can tell everything to. I just told him I needed to talk to him and we scheduled a time. At this point, I was so nervous and I was regretting asking to talk to him. I had already had a knot in my stomach when I planned on telling him and I hadn't slept in like 3 days because my anxiety was so bad. I knew exactly what I was going to say and rehearsed it quietly in the shower so my parents couldn't hear. The time came and I went to his office. He said "So what did you want to talk about?" and my mind went completely blank. I just kinda froze and said "well...umm...shit.." and he told me to sit down with a concerned look on his face. I was so comfortable with him normally, but I couldn't say it. I told him I had just discovered something about myself that I'm not sure how I feel about. He asked a few questions before he got to "does this have to do with relationships?" and when I said yes he completely understood. He asked if it was a boy problem and I said sort of and then he asked if it was a girl problem and I also said sort of. He asked me "Is this something you think is wrong?" and I said "well, not really but I don't know.." He looked so understanding and after a short silence he said "There's nothing wrong with you. You also could just be curious, it could be a phase, or this could be you. Personally, I believe everyone is curious and it's more common in girls than boys to be curious. Have you acted on these feelings?" and I said no. He knows I'm catholic so he told me I might have to ignore some of what the church says about this and I told him how accepting my church has been to other people. He mentioned that the church is definitely changing in this aspect and that that is awesome. He told me it would be good to find a chat room or something (which is the reason I'm here) to talk about it. He asked if I had told anyone else and I said no. He asked if I could tell my friends (he knows one of my best friends) and I said well I absolutely can't tell her, I've gotten into too many arguments with her about homosexuality and equality and I don't think she would be very accepting. That's when he told me that any friends who can't accept who I am aren't really my friends anyway, but I should give them some time whenever I do decide to tell them. Family is a different story. He asked about how accepting my parents would be and I told him I honestly have no idea because I don't know my dad's opinions at all and my mom says a lot of things supporting equality but I don't know if she really means it. We talked about grandparents and I told him that my dad's side would be ok but they would be the ones to tell everyone they know because they can and my mom's side is complicated because my grandma would be ok but my grandfather is completely against it. He asked how old he was and when I told him he's in his 70s he told me it might be best to just keep the grandparents naive to it. He said that he did that and let his grandparents just pass away happy. We also talked about colleges. The college at the top of my list has one fault. It's a christian school that is openly against homosexuality. They frown upon "homosexual behaviors" whatever that even means and if a professor finds out, you're the laughing stock of their class. He told me it might be a good idea to look into other schools, and I said have another one in mind but I just can't decide. We talked about our school's GSA and how pathetic it is..as they usually are. He asked if I knew of any girls who are out, which I do not. He asked about guys and I told him there are a few that I know of. He told me that if I'm friends with them, to talk to them about it. He reminded me that there's nothing wrong with me and he told me that my freshman year of college, I will probably know. He told me that in college you have more time to get to know yourself and that he didn't know for sure until after his freshman year. So maybe next year, I'll come back to him and say "I figured it out" but for now nobody else knows except for him and I'm okay with that.
    He will always be there for support and I'm so happy I met him this year.

2. kai397

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    thats amazing that you came out to him and dont worry how long it takes to figure yourself out and dont listen to mean people

3. choirsmash

Thanks. I was kind of surprised at how long the conversation lasted because I didn't really have much else to say but he had a lot to say. I'm so glad I did it and I'm surprised I didn't cry...almost cried in my next class tho haha
    I ended up late to class but it was worth it

4. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sounds like a great guy!

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats~! ^.^

6. choirsmash

He really is a great guy and he's super supportive. Thanks guys!