1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My slow coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by trikuriboh, Nov 2, 2008.

1. trikuriboh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well let's see. It all started two years ago when I took a weight lifting class in college, anyways I made a few close friends there one I felt like I would be friends with him forever. And well some time passed although I wanted him to be the first person that I told I was gay and well I never saw a real opportunity. So then well after having a weird friendship with a guy over this past summer I put up an old barrier I had to protect myself in high school. So I knew in order to break that barrier I had to tell someone which I chose him. I was going to wait a day and well texted him to meet me somewhere alone and private. And I kind of lied by saying I needed advice. He asked me about what but I told him I had to get to class (also a lie).
    Anyways a minute or two later I just texted him I lied about needing to go to class and well just texted I'm gay. He was "quiet" for a bit, but a few minutes later he was all its cool and well told me he was fine with it. But to make sure we stayed friends I asked him to still meet me, he did and well thankfully it was akward in the beginning, but towards the end it felt like nothing had changed.
    The next week I told another friend who I could tell was a little weirded out cause she never really thought about it or well thought I was just like my guy friend. She still seems weird about it, but I think we're cool overall.
    Then the next week I told another two "close" friends both the girl and guy were cool with it. Then well this past week on Halloween I finally told two people who are I guess acquaintences (type-o?) and well they seemed fine with it. I'm hoping it's just a matter of time till I tell all my other friends well who aren't close to my family and well hopefully I will be out. But hey walking around campus in leather pants (every once in a while) should at least clue them in.
    The only problem is I don't want my family to know since they will through me out which sucks. Hence the reason why I tell my friend who don't know my family and specifically say my family doesn't know. They don't know it luckily probably had a suspician or two, but passed it off cause of my high school years of saying I had crushes on girls and well accidentally getting a girlfriend for a week lol.

2. trikuriboh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry forgot to add this wee bit before I started:
    So I knew I was gay since well 5 when I had a crush on another boy my age and well didn't really know I liked him that way, so maybe I should say shouldv'e known. Anyway there were times in my life I should have known I was gay and well it wasn't until 12, 13 I realized it after something happened which I don't want to explain here. I'll just say a music video was on and I was watching the man on it and leave it at that. Anyways I was bullied for being gay or should I say suspected that I was gay by a few guys in middle school. It cause me to revert into myself and well basically made a barrier to keep it hidden although I kind of always acted more staright than gay through out my life so it was easy I guess to hide it. And well I hid it from friends and such although one kid in high school asked me if I was and well freaking out I just said no and walked away from him. I mean I can't really tell you that I don't put off a gay vibe, but some people I guess can see it.

3. kristi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a good idea to take it slow when you're coming out. Selectively choosing who to tell is absolutely your right. I understand your hesitancy at telling your family, you can tell them when you feel the time is appropriate. No need to rush anything. People that are truly your friends will be cool with you being gay, even if they need a little mental adjustment to get used to the idea.

I lost a few friends when I came out, but obviously they weren't my friends anyway. My family was a mixed bag: my Parents freaked out, my Sister said "well it's about time, I've known you were gay for years!!", my Grandfather said "I love you and want you to be happy, whoever you are with". My parents finally came around, but it took a couple years. In the mean time, my Sister was my biggest advocate, constantly harassing my parents to get over themselves. The biggest benefit for me coming out was that I didn't have to lie to MYSELF anymore about who I was. Being comfortable in my own skin was the greatest gift of coming out.

I don't advertise being gay at work, but if anyone specifically asks about my personal life, I used to mention my partner (we broke up, I'm single now). In any case, I've never had a problem at work, no one really cares. I took my partner to many company events, no big deal. To me it's just who I am, and if anyone has a problem with it, it's THEIR problem, not mine.

Congratulations on coming out to some of your friends. Hang in there. It does get easier.
    :eusa_clap

4. trikuriboh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Uh thanks alot