1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to someone for first time (my friend)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Winterguy, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Winterguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some strange feeling came over me a few evenings ago, and I decided that I was going to come out to my straight male friend/housemate whatever the consequences. It's not as if I'd been building up to it for days or anything. I couldn't bring myself to do it in person though so I said I was going for a walk.

After a while I sent a longish text that was apologetic but relatively calm (thought this was my best bet) then did something I'd never done before and hid my phone in a bush as I just wasn't prepared for the response (if there was any). When I walked back to get it and saw the response - well I was on Cloud Nine. He seemed really happy I'd trust him with it, told me not to feel awkward and would still be my mate etc. Since then we've just gone on relatively as normal, although I did think I had to tell him in person how grateful I was for his reaction, which I did calmly and that was well received.

While it felt great at the time, it doesn't really solve much on its own and I'm wondering when to come out to the next friend and who that will be, bearing in mind I probably can't expect as good a reaction from everyone. (Family is still out-of-bounds for the foreseeable future).

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done Winterguy. it's a great feeling isn't it! Just take it slowly. One step at a time. Best wishes.

#2 doinitagain, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've crossed a hurdle in telling your friend and housemate and he will now form part of your support network if/when you decide to tell other people, so take some comfort from that and give yourself time to gather your thoughts. Coming out is a process and you will do it at your own pace.

Enjoy the feeling of being out to someone and take it from there.

4. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations!
    Be proud of yourself for having done a brave thing!

:music: