1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Sister is Awesome

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jellal, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Jellal

I was talking with my sister today after she got back from school and we ended up discussing some semi-heavy content about bullying and sometimes why bullies act the way they do (referring specifically to internet trolls.) And it struck a chord with me because I was totally a rude troll online to random people before. I ended up taking out a lot of my pent-up frustration on them. When you're not being honest with yourself, you tend to build up frustration. (Hell, even on my troll accounts I always claimed to be a girl, and I didn't think twice about it.)

So right then and there I told my sister that I wanted to apologize for any way I ever acted nasty towards her, that I wanted us to be closer as siblings rather than have stupid conflicts tear us apart. I wanted to be a better person to her and let her know that she can tell me anything and I'm willing to talk about anything, so we can both breathe easier. And I finally told her that I'm transgender.

She took it really well, saying that she wasn't too surprised because we'd had the sorts of conversations where I'd mentioned little details about gender being "on a spectrum." Plus, as she put it, I never really seemed committed to living my life as a "manly man" and I tend to flout convention when I feel it doesn't suit me. I got to tell her that this was a big weight off my chest, and it was. Because now I can live in a house where my mom, dad, and sister all know what used to be my secret, and that pressure's off. I can talk about it freely now without having to worry. It feels awesome! I knew that opening up to her would be the right thing to do, that it was the best possible idea. I just needed to find the right time to say it, to be a little bolder during one of our sparse conversations.

I'm really feeling grateful that I can be a big sister to such a wonderful and understanding person.:icon_bigg

2. Acm

Acm Guest

Congratulations, it's great your sister is accepting!

3. NewKid87

As the proud brother of another awesome and accepting younger sister (she's the first person I came out to), I also want to say congratulations! The great (and sometimes frustrating) thing about family is that you will be stuck with them for the rest of your lives. Stay close to your sis! She's going to be an important friend and confidante as you get older.