1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to mom but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BnyLava, Feb 11, 2015.

1. BnyLava

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So for a couple of weeks now I had wanted to tell my mom that I am bisexaul. Everything about my life felt like it was spiraling out of control and i just didn't feel good about myself because I felt that I needed to share my feelings with my mom -- this was mostly because I started to have some really strong feelings for this girl I knew and was feeling hopeless (cuz that's what crushes do to me apparently, especially when they are hopeless endeavors).

I called her and after chatting for a bit on the phone I told her I was feeling down and it was because I needed to tell her about my sexuality. It was super awkward because it was on the phone and everything and I don't know if I should call and bring it up but she was kinda supportive but a little sad about it as she said that she and i were going to miss out on things like having a wedding or kids if I chose to be with a girl. I am not sure if this means she has accepted it or what. Im a little lost and don't know if I should talk more with her or just wait till I bring a future girlfriend over to see how things turn out. :eusa_doh:

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My best advice is to give your Mom some time and space to consider things and work through her feelings. In all fairness, we don't usually give our parents plenty of advance warning or time to adjust to the inevitable news, so when we hit them with it their reactions can vary considerably.

It doesn't sound like your Mom is hostile or against you, but she is maybe at a stage where she is processing the news and working through her thoughts about it all. You can read more about the parent/family stages here:Empty Closets - Parent and Family Stages of Grief

3. itsmary

Your mom loves you and being with a girl doesn't mean missing out on kids or wedding!

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its possible she needs a bit of time to get used to new ideas...
    a wedding and kids are all possible with a girl, its just a bit a different mental picture :slight_smile:.