1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out at church

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by tobias antony, Nov 6, 2008.

1. tobias antony

Yesterday I decided to come out as trans to my pastor. I've come out to a ton of people so far, but not at work or at church or within my family. So I got to Kids Klub (i'm a volunteer) and found my pastor and asked if we could talk whenever he wasn't busy. He said he could talk after Kids Klub was over. So, after Kids Klub, we went into his office and I just told him. He was fine with it. I'm not sure if I'm going to come out to the rest of the church yet, and I told him that. He said whenever I was ready. But I don't know if I will, because I know some of the parents aren't going to want me around their children, because, you know, I'm so scary. But my next task is to come out to my boss. I work with special needs preschoolers so... that should be fun. Wish me luck. :slight_smile:

2. MLCarr

Man, that took more guts than I think I could ever find. I'm so proud of you!

I work with kids all the time and going up and saying "hey, guess what, I'm a lesbian" won't exactly go over well. Because you know, we're all sexual predators *sarcasam*

Good job, and I wish you luck with your boss!

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You must go to a pretty liberal church. That's good that it was accepted so easily by your pastor. :slight_smile:

4. LoveIsBlind

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad to hear he accepted you, and good luck with your boss! :slight_smile:

5. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Congratulations on coming out to your pastor and its good to hear that he was accepting of it!! Good luck with your boss :wink:

6. george678

I do wish you the best of luck!

7. Jace

Haha that reminds me of this one time on gilmore girls, lorilei was volunteering to do some elementary school play and this kid was like "my moms a lesbian" and he kept saying it, then he'd raise his hand and lorilei'd be like yes, we know that your mom is a lesbian

Lolol :slight_smile:)

8. tobias antony

Thanks everyone!
    I'm happy it went well with him. I go to an ELCA Lutheran church, and most of the time they are pretty liberal. I am scared to death of talking to my boss. Partly because I work in the same building as my mother, and she hates HATES the fact that I'm trans. But I know I need to anyway, its just gonna take a while to gather up that much courage. This made me crack up!:

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, congratulations! That must have taken a lot of courage. It's great that your pastor is so accepting.

10. Linkmaste

Dude, thats totally brave of you! I mean that takes real guts as many said. I'm still comming out to people but hey! Comming out to church is something to be very proud of. I'm very impressed with the other guys acceptance well not impressed but happy about. These days you hear Catholics are not for gay but I go to a Catholic school and I learned that many religious people accept gay people and agree the Bible is out dated.

Oops sorry I rambled. But yeah dude good luck you have my support and my thumbs up in luck!

11. xequar

I have to give you a lot of credit for coming out to your pastor. It's not only a gutsy move, but a sign of strong faith.

12. Noah

I also came out to my pastor. It's good when they're so accepting. (Even more than my parents lol)

13. Bunny

(Better late than never, right?)

That is so cool! I can't believe that a pastor, who you'd expect to be the least-understanding, had no problem with it. I agree that it must've taken a lot of courage, I couldn't imagine doing that.

14. Tom94

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations! I wish I was as brave as you.