1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to friends on Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ScentedRegrets, Nov 7, 2008.

1. ScentedRegrets

Well, I just pulled the trigger. I just switched my profile to "interested in men." And I didn't delete the Facebook news update that all my friends will receive next time they log in. I will give it a few days to see how it goes, but my best friend was with me tonight and he made me feel up to it. Now, just my father and distant family to go!

I have to say, I have always been professionally confident, but I am now feeling more and more socially confident. I find myself caring less and less about what others think of me... I am really taking on the mentality that if you accept my lifestyle choices, then great! But if you don't, then I am better off without you. I just hope the family piece goes okay. I am willing to ditch anyone that doesn't accept my lifestyle (I am no longer willing to sacrfice any more time and effort to appease them). I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, it will just be short term pain that helps pave the way toward a long term relationship that will be so much more valuable.

I really only have one regret in life. And that is letting college and even the last two years of high school slip away without ever pursuing a boyfriend. I really wasted those six years to appease others, and where did it get me? I lost touch with most of them, and yet I have no relationship or memories of a relationship to show for it. Don't make the same mistake that I did!

Just wanted to say that I am surprisingly relieved... almost as much as I did a few months ago when I spilled the beans to my two best friends. Man, I really love them. They are so good to me! And it really has made all the difference in the world!

2. Lychee

Congrats :grin:

I hate facebook; the way that everyone gets the stuff in the newsfeed.

Mine still says I'm single, even though I've been going out with my boyfriend for like 2 and a half months... I just don't really feel like changing it, coz I know that a lot of girls in my school will start stalking him :S

3. Apocalypte

Just want to back this up. I went virtually my whole time in college without pursuing relationships because it took me so long to accept myself for who I am (I was 21, nearly 22, when I started coming out to friends) and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

4. LoveIsBlind

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! :slight_smile:

5. mikeh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll throw in my 2 cents on this, too. Not only did I waste all my time in hs and college, but I guess I was angry and jealous at everyone else finding someone, so I basically pushed all my friends away. Luckily since coming out, I have reconnected with many of them.

Congratulations on coming out on Facebook. I have yet to switch the preference on my profile. But, since Tuesday I stopped giving a damn and started openly supporting all the gay marriage causes.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out on Facebook!

7. ogniredol

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey a couple of points.

There's no point looking back. I wasted college and about 6 years since but we can't turn the clock back. I haven't had any relationships but I've had plenty of other good experiences instead and made some great friends at college.

Coming out on Facebook: isn't it a bit impersonal just to change your status. Couldn't some people be a bit hurt you didn't tell them personally? I am planning to come out on Facebook on my 30th birthday in 12 days but was also planning to also send a long e-mail to everyone rather than just update my status.

8. xequar

I know exactly what you mean. It wasn't until I was 25 before I came out, and I totally let some of the opportunities at college slip right by.

But, it is what it is. If you spend your time looking back and moping around about the past, you'll wind up letting even more time slip by instead of doing what you should be. Like I always say-What's the point of life if you ain't gonna live it? Don't worry about what was. Those pages are written and the ink is dry. Learn from what you wrote there, grab life by the balls, and start living it! :slight_smile:

9. rocking23

Major congrats!
    Speaking of having a boyfriend in hs, that's something I really want!!

10. acorn7

I've thought about doing this a few times... I really should. But right now it's blank and it's fine! It would be kind of weird for all my friends to see "XYZ is now interested in men", as if I wasn't before... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. kh23172

I think you should change it. I did. :slight_smile:

12. Nova713

Nova713 Guest

Congrats on getting the courage to change your facebook. I still have to work up the nerve to do it yet.
    I made the same mistake that you did. I didn't have a boyfriend or come out while I was in high school and college. I let those years slip by with nothing to really show for it except for a degree. Just know that you're not the only one.

13. musican

I plan on coming out as soon as this year ends because I will be finishing high school and going to college. That way I can make friends that know who I am from the start and I'm not wondering how they will react when they find out that I'm gay. I want to come out in high school, but I dont think I would have enough support and I would get depressed, so Im settling for first thing at college :slight_smile:

14. Markio

Musician, that's great! I didn't tell a few select friends until college, but I'm not really out to the college students here. Although tonight I'm going to a QSA Safe Space Training Workshop, where you learn how to be an ally for the LGBT community. So I'm pretty sure that one guy who invited me knows... Nice guy, but a senior. Out of my league. If it ever comes up, I think I would say yes, I'm gay to whoever asks. Unless, you know, the person asking is being a dumbface, like my roommate.
    As for facebook, I'm so grateful for the private message option. That's how I came out to two of my friends, while not revealing to all my Facebook acquaintances (including my MOM) my true sexuality.

15. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I put it on Facebook and nothing happened. It apparently didn't announce it. Feels kind of nice to have it there doesn't it though?

16. Apocalypte

Yup, it might seem like something so small, but it really does feel huge!

17. ScentedRegrets

I think you bring up some very good points. Thinking back, I think it is rather impersonal the way I handled it. I've thought this through the past two days and I think you're absolutely right. I am not going to write a letter to everyone, but I am going to pick my strongest friends (the ones I plan on keeping in touch with in the future, not the ones that were just on a class project or on the bowling league that I will never see again) and I am going to write them a message... not a very long one, just an honest one. Something along the lines of... "I value the years we spent together... I consider you a friend and believe that I owe it to you to be honest with you... I am gay... I've known for a while and I wish I had the courage to tell you earlier."

Thank you for bringing this point up. I think that I was so deeply in the mindset of trying to get the message out that I overlooked this very important detail.

18. ScentedRegrets

Oh, such good advice! I think I am finally getting the courage to live my life, on my terms. I just hope I keep on this path.

19. xequar

Very good! Don't worry, you will stay on that path. Once you come out to a few people, you'll realize that it's actually much easier than you thought, and once you're out, it's incredibly liberating, like seeing the world in color for the first time. I actually went from completely closeted to completely out in about three weeks, and I haven't looked back since. I'm very excited for you, because it sounds like you're very much where I was a couple of years ago, and the ride is exhilarating!

20. ScentedRegrets

Aww, thank you! I know what you mean. It is incredibly liberating. I am to the point where I really don't care what those outside of my family think about me or my sexual choices. Even inside, I really don't care too much. For instance, my aunt and uncle, who are homophobic and religious, are my friends on Facebook, and I could really care less. The only obstacle is my father - one minute he is proud of my academic achivements and professional success (have a good job), but the next minute he is frustrated that I do not want to go on vacation to bang girls. I think he is catching on to the male athlete posters in my room - no females on my walls! But I know that there is going to be a good two or three week period after I come out to him that is going to be extremely awkward, and I am just not ready for that yet.