1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out some more.....and it feels great!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Mirko, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the past couple of weeks I came out to a few more of my friends and I could not have asked for better reactions. The first friend I came out to is a long time friend and who is a very good friend of my sister's. I thought about it for some time to let her know. But for some reason the time never seemed right. That changed one evening when I decided to join her, her brother and my sister for a coffee. I waited for her brother to go out for a smoke before telling her. It was kind of funny, because upon his return I think he could sense that something is up but could not put his finger on. :slight_smile:

A few days later, I decided to come out to another friend that I have gotten to know over the last couple of years. As we were talking about some of the things that we did during the day, I just decided to let him know. We talked a little bit about it afterward before the topic changed again. Before taking the bus home, he gave me a hug and thanked me for trusting him.

Both coming outs happened at the same Starbucks. I think I will avoid this coffee shop for a while. :slight_smile:

What I'm finding though is that coming out is no longer such a big thing. I think I have started to become a lot more comfortable with myself and have started to see it as something normal. During this last week, I have been to a local GLBT office every day (a new record for me), and it felt really good to be in there and talk with others about all kinds of things. I have even volunteered for some office hours. And yesterday I went to an open mic event in town which was simply awesome. It was great to be among members of the GLBT community and just be myself.

2. EM68

That is awesome! Congrats. I am thinking of coming out to a couple of my friends that I know that I can trust very soon. One of them is gay. I emailed him a couple of days ago to get together for dinner after work sometime. I want to tell a few of my of my friends before I tell my family after the new year.

3. Linkmaste

Congrats :slight_smile: Really admire the fact that you just told them. It takes a lot of guts to tell people that. Its great you joined that GLBT office and your putting hours in. I'm considering joining mine.

4. ccdd

ccdd Guest

That's awesome! I'm really glad it went so well! And I have to say that I'm also really impressed that you're managing to come out in person - something I never managed until I'd had quite a few "successful" comings-out. In fact, I still find it difficult...

But congrats, and yeah, it seems that if you're having problems coming out to someone, you should just take them to Starbucks.... :lol:

5. xequar

Bravo! It's almost like a drug, coming out... Soon you'll be just cracking jokes and stuff without even thinking about it :slight_smile:

6. LoveIsBlind

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad to hear it went so well, congratulations! :slight_smile:

7. Jim1454

That's GREAT! I'm glad to hear you're getting to that stage.

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi ccdd! Coming out in person is still difficult for me too. Before coming out to the last friend, I contemplated writing an e-mail to him. But then I thought that it would be a bit odd given that I see him on a regular basis. Before I could say it, I really had to think about how and what to say and whether or not I should say something at all. I was thinking for a long time about it. At the same time, I wanted to be able to tell him about that part of my life as well. But yeah, it is not easy. It was and still is nerve wracking. I was actually very nervous and thinking whether I'm doing the right thing. In the end though I thought about some of the things he said in the past which helped me to feel a bit 'reassured' that it will be okay.

Thanks everyone!

9. Halo

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi,

It's great that you are feeling comfortable with who you are and how you feel. As many people mention on EC it takes a lot of energy and courage to easily tell people we know and I have realized people are more accepting than we struggle to come out to them. Congradulations!!

10. Nodnarb

:grin:Congrats!!! Sounds like things are going brilliantly for you!:slight_smile: