1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stepping Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Linkmaste, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Linkmaste

Well I didnt want to put Comming Out I mean too many people titled that! But Indeed this is a comming out story!

Well it's kinda complicated I knew I was different since I was a kid and everything. It was weird at one point I specifically remembering thinking I had superpowers haha! Oh how imagintive I was. Well, my best friend figured I was gay kinda before I knew it but was glad I realized it. Then I told my other best friend (seven years known each other) and I was flipping out on her reaction (A word of advice: Tell people face to face or phone I wanted to desperatly see my friend rather than tell her on msn.). But in the end she was cool with it and supported me which made me feel real good about myself.

Well comming out to my other other best friend (knew her since Kindergarden) and well...things kinda got weird as we had like a month relationship. It was random and really heart breaking in the end. Dont worry were still friends :slight_smile:

My biggest comming out was to my school friends. All my other friends went to another school but I go to a Catholic school and my friend wanted to be a nun! God that made me shiver and tremble in fear and I mean fear. The last thing I wanted was to be bullied again for my sexuality. But I told her, ready to cry or faint but she instead hugged me and said it was really neat being gay and wanted to know everything. She became my personal therapist :grin: and I adore her for that. Few days later I came out to the next and she did the same thing hugged me and told me I wasnt different.

Finally I came out a few weeks ago to my guy friend and he shrugged and told me it was all good he didnt care.

So its been really good to me. My next step is getting the courage to tell my parents. I tried a few nights ago but I just couldnt do it. I was there ready to tell my dad but I ended up getting a glass of juice and crying downstairs. I know its chicken and I think they will accept me but...theres just that chance. I dont really want to dissipont them or make their lives worse :frowning2:.

So thats my story so far. I want to tell my parents (the other family doesnt matter to me bascially its just me and my parents anyways). But I'm being obnoxious arnt I? It's not like anyone rejected me lol.:slight_smile:

2. xequar

Congrats on the successes so far!

Coming out to the parents is possibly the hardest coming out. It was my hardest, and I was 25 when I did it. But, if you think they'll accept it, I think going for it is probably a good idea.

As far as worrying about disappointing them, you can't worry about that. My mom told me she knew that I was gay when I was 12. My parents pulled me aside probably four different times and asked me if I was gay. Yet, I denied it and denied it. What wound up happening was that, because I denied it, my mom got these grand ideas about my wedding and grandchildren and all that sort of thing. When I finally did come out, she knew, and she took it well enough, but she was definitely disappointed.

But, a big part of that was because I had taken so long and she had all kinds of time with which to concoct all sorts of visions of what my ideal straight life was going to be. Had I had the courage to be honest when I was in high school, it probably would have been easier on my parents instead of harder. Instead, I probably made it worse by giving all the lies about being too busy with college to worry about a girlfriend and the like.

Of course, you have to do what's right for you, but I hope you go for it :slight_smile:

3. Linkmaste

Well I went for it. I told my mom and dad I was gay.

I started with my dad first I thought it would be the best move me and him were close. But when I told him (and I was about to cry and tremble) he said this after a moment.

"No your not."

It was a REAL huge let down. But I know he will come around. For about a half hour he lectured me how I'm too young and I dont know whats good for me. I will have a boyfriend soon.

I felt like I taken two steps back. Maybe I wasnt really ready to tell them. Its been almost a week since I told them and I feel regretful. An odd sense of heavy pressure being lifted from my shoulders but still regretful.

My mom took it way better. Apparently shes the true liberal of the family. She said the same thing I'm too young. Sixteen. Young. I REALLY dont think so. But they dont want me to make mistakes and say I'm straight again. I dunno really confused and indescisive. So what do I do? I decide to go to a formal dance with this guy...hes nice but I dont see him and me other than friends. I'm actually looking out for my one friend going and shes really nervous so I told her I would stand by her (I kinda have a crush on her shes too cute).

So I dunno do you guys think sixteen is too young to know? My mom told me my family doesnt want to know this kind of stuff (their from New Brunswick) so I'm kinda on my own on the famly level. However on the friends I'm good. The stupid thing was that they kept an eye so I couldnt retreat to my friends house if things got bad. They didnt get bad it just got...rotten. Like something happy just deflated.

I guess I should shut up. Just tell me your opinon. I didnt want to start a new thread on this save webpage paper XD.

4. If you know, you know. Your parents can't tell you otherwise. No, you're not too young to know. Just give them time.

5. Trumpetplyer23

I don't think sixteen is too young to know. Hell, I knew when I was twelve. I came out to my mom when I was twelve, my dad when I was thirteen. I came out to my entire school at the age of fifteen.

6. gemerency

most gay poeple confirm their sexuallity at the age of 16-17.... i did, actually i did at age 15, just didn't know all the termonology.

7. Linkmaste

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile: Its..going alright I geuss. Their okay with it I mean they wont be eager to let me see my GLBT groups (their not even in my city..) But I'm hanging in there.

8. James2612

Congrats..... It feels good when your friends take it well.
    It feels grate that people know, and still love you!!

Good luck with your parents!!

9. ricoca

Wow.. you're brave...
    I mean I've been trying to tell my sis for a whjole year and never gotten around to it.. so
    congrats!

10. gaius

gaius Guest

i hope they come to understand that ur not too young well done for having the courage to come out to them!

11. Linkmaste

Friends are AMAZING. I LOVE THEM. One of them was a super catholic so I was VERY shocked to see her really positive reaction.

Its a tough thing to do come out to a family member. I didnt think I could do it at all.

Giaus: It will take A LOT of time. Just like me I used to be somewhat negative of gay and lesbians a long time ago and the thought of me being gay was crazy talk. Lets just say it tooks awhile for me to accept myself so I had a feeling they were going to be the same to me.

Our family is very small and kinda not really good at communicating. Family members avoid talking to each other about personal feelings and problems. But we do not have ANYONE gay or lesbian EVER in the family. So me being the first...well putting that into speculation their not going to believe it and deny it just say I'm confused.

They pull that "you had a few sexual encounters with the same sex so what that doesnt make you gay." UGH that makes me mad. Its kinda not straight when you fall in love with another woman, love women in a romantic emoitional level and daydream of them for the past....five years? Willingly or not willingly.

So, be strong. Do that YOU think is right. NOT what we people tell you here. We just advice and offer support in the end YOU are calling the shots no one else. Family is the hardest to come out of and deal with but once its over you feel lighter. Trust me. :slight_smile:

12. Linkmaste

Oh, boy LMAO

Yeah I'm...im in trouble....

It all started out with my crush wanting to go to this dance and of course being the love sick puppy I was I said yes. Then she got a date...oh boy my reaction was not a pleasant one.

I did not want to be a third wheel on this. Naturally I asked my three year guy friend if he wanted to go with me and the others of course he said yes.

So time went by, durning that time my parents found out I was really into girls and...well they didnt take it the best. They said "oh you never been with a boy." That struck a chord in me, if they acted like this how would my family act. I'm very family orientated I need them.

I also explained the crush (shes straight) to my good friend on msn. She told me to get over her fast as possible. So surprise and surprise I was at semi with the guy (he bought me a corasage to wear). We had a good time, dancing and eating the whole nine yards.

Me and him walked along the town for a bit until we came to a ferris wheel and I was leaning on him. Suddenly he asked me if I wanted to date him.

Ofcourse I thought of my crush...how I wanted to be with her so desperatly. I knew it wasnt going to happen and my family...I could make them SO proud. I said yes. Sweet death words passed my lips and we were together...just like that.

It has been almost a week since that night. Things have been...werid he really likes me I can see it now and me...I dont feel anything. Nothing like my past relatinoships with women. Every kiss felt numb, fake, rotten. I'm hoping somehow I can be happy with this but I know deep down I will never be. I hope I can wait it out, maybe he will find another nice girl before I do.

I look to this guy as my older brother, the protector, the one that I can fool around with.

It caused my comming out to my cousin and I explained my situation. She suggests I'm bisexual. Maybe shes right. I dunno I'm really confused not on weither I'm straight or not I know I like women. Just the do I like men too part catches me.

It's going to be hard trying to concentrate on something else. My precious soccer is gone till March, work is a living hell, I dont even want to talk to my parents let alone let them know I'm dating this guy...

You can put your imput but I know most of you will say break up and such. I dont like relationships for some odd reason. Feel chained up you know? Like you and the other put a hand cuff on and stay that way until you each go nuts.

Well long story short...I have a boyfriend and I'm into women. Greeeaat :slight_smile: -sarcasm-

13. darkestknight

Well, I secretly liked guys when I was like 14-15, and then admitted to myself (came out to myself?) when I am 22. I came out to my parents at the age of 22 also. :slight_smile:

I had female crushes, but not as much as I do on male crush. Once, I was swooning over a guy in my college. I got over it though. :slight_smile: