1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I came out to several people

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BlueLion, Feb 28, 2015.

1. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I'm new in this forum and I'd like to share my story. I've thought it might help other people.

I realised that I was gay when I was 12 or 13 years old. At first, I was in the typical denial phase: I could not be gay. When I started to assume my sexuality, I made myself believe that I would hide my homosexuality for the rest of my life and I could live a "straight" life.

I became older (I'm in my early 20s nowadays) and I started to change my mind. I decided that I want to be happy and I was able to see that there was nothing wrong with being gay.
    I have to say that I went through hard times and that helped me to have this new point of view.

Last year, I came out for the first time to a friend. I sent her an e-mail where I told her that I liked guys and that she was the first person who I told that because she was important for me. She accepted me and she's treated me exactly the same way since then. I was sure she was an open-minded person, but I was quite scared when I decided to tell her.

Then I came out to a cousin of mine in person and to another friend via e-mail. It also went well. Doing it in person was a very nice experience because we could talk about my homosexuality face to face and I could vent.

It was the time to tell my parents. When I was ready I wrote to them a letter where I said that I was gay and that I expected they accepted me the way I was because I was exactly the same son they had known so far. I didn't feel comfortable talking about this with my parents and that's why I made they read the letter when I was not at home. In addition, I asked them not to talk about my homosexuality to me unless I wanted. They were accepting and I'm glad I don't have to hide this part of me anymore with them.

I haven't told more people since then, but I'll do when I feel ready. Coming out is something I don't regret and I feel much better now.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, and welcome to Empty Closets! Thank you for sharing your story/experiences.

I am happy for you that your coming out experiences have been so positive and that you are feeling much better. It seems that as you continued coming out, you also gained more confidence in continuing to let others know. Well done. :slight_smile:

3. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

The first time you come out is the most difficult one. The next ones are easier, especially if you've had a possitive experience. It has been quite liberating for me.

4. Tudi

It's so sweet. Your story is so positive and optimistic! I'm happy you have so open-minded environment!
    It is like spread your wings anf fly, isn't it?
    I don't know why but I imagine coming out like that.

5. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Living is much easier if you don't have to hide yourself. Unfortunately, not everybody is so lucky. But I recommend people who live in an open-minded environment to be brave and come out.

6. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi BlueLion,

I just read your story and congrats to coming out. You don't have to tell everyone you meet that you are gay, I'm sure when you came out it was the most exhilarating feeling. But, if you are not ready to tell some people, it's okay. Because it's nobodies business but your own. Who you decide to tell, it's up to you and no one should sway you otherwise. But if you are keeping something from someone you love, i.e your parents, siblings or whoever, that's different. But to every Tom, Dick and 'arry (Harry) (This means stranger) who cares. If people come into your life and they want to get to know you, then that's the point to start talking about your life and it shouldn't be a big issue. If you encounter who doesn't (to put it politely) doesn't agree. Then, they have no room to be in your life. Because they will be missing out on someone, who could give them something that they will never know and that's you. So (again put it politely) WHO GIVES A FRIG!! lol I hope this helps?

7. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks! :thumbsup:

You're absolutely right. It's not other people's business but there are still important people for me who I haven't tell yet.

8. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your welcome,

That's cool, if you feel that you have more important people to tell. You shouldn't just come out to please everyone. I'm not saying suppress it, because that's a big no-no. You can still have a sense of identity, when you are keeping something that is personal to you. Rather, then giving out so much of yourself, (not physically, but mentally) that it interferes with your own self, because it shouldn't. GAAAAY MEN!!!

#8 musicman1982, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015