1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in my English assignment

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by choirsmash, Mar 2, 2015.

1. choirsmash

So my English class has to do entries in a writer's notebook every quarter. I asked on another thread of I should basically come out to my English teacher in an entry. Someone said to write a short story about someone going through exactly what I am. So I did and here it is:

"The Bible says absolutely nothing about it!" my mother tells angrily at her father. Let's backtrack. My name is Alex, short for Alexis. As a teenager I struggled with my sexuality. I, now, know that I am bisexual and at this very moment, I have decided to come out to my grandparents. At this point, I'm beginning to regret that decision. My grandmother and my parents are being very supportive, but as you can see, my grandfather is not taking it well. It took a lot for me to get to this point. I didn't even know I wasn't straight until my senior year. That was not the most fun time of my life.
    Senior year was difficult in n that aspect, mostly because I was a very religious person. After learning this, my faith was shaken quite a bit. It became a huge deal to me. I had only talked to one person about it, who told me to make a group chat with some friends I wanted to tell. These were close friends I had made on a retreat. After seeing the incredible amount of support they had for me, I began to research what the Bible really says about homosexuality. To my surprise, there really wasn't anything.
    Back to my grandfather and my mom. Mom is trying to explain all of this to him before losing her cool. She is explaining that while there are six passages about homosexuality in the Bible, only two of them are blatantly against it. "Those two passages are from Leviticus, Dad. They're irrelevant. Do you know what else is considered an abomination in Leviticus? Eating pork and charging interest on loans." He's not a very good listener. She goes on to explain some of the other verses being screwed up in translation. "The concept of sexual orientation didn't even exist in that time period." She's done quite a bit of research on this herself since I came out to her and my dad.
    Speaking of which, I didn't tell them until after my first semester in college. Partially because I wasn't ready, but also because I wanted to be sure. They already knew. They knew before I did. How does that even work? I guess it would explain a lot of my behaviors as a child. That's probably how.
    My grandfather is actually kind of getting better. He's listening and actually starting to understand. I haven't said anything in awhile, but I'll just sit back and pray that he becomes accepting. My mom just pulled up a video to show him. He watched it and he just got up and grabbed me for a hug. He whispered, " I will always love yo, no matter what. Now, it's time for bed so goodnight." That went well after the initial shock wore off.
    I guess religion is no longer an issue for me. My whole family knows now, good. That's a relief.

Ok so that was basically just my hopes for when/if I ever tell my grandparents. It's based in me, but it's set in the future. I hand in the notebook at the end of the week, but I'm excited for his feedback. He always leaves comments on a few entries, I think this will be one of them.

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a fantastic entry. I'm sure your teacher will love it. Make sure you let us know how it goes!

3. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is really awesome! But, as a grammarnazi, I must say that there are some mistakes with sentence flow and other general grammar rules.

4. choirsmash

It's just a rough draft, I'll fix those mistakes if I choose to use it for the final draft (we pick one entry for the final draft for the quarter). I also may have missed some things when I typed it for this..I was doing other work at the same time haha

5. choirsmash

Haha ok so he didn't comment or mention it. I was gonna ask him about it but someone else was there. So, I think I'm gonna ask him what he thought of it tomorrow.

6. woahthatsboring

Congrats, hopefully your grandparents can postively accept you and you're very brave :slight_smile: