1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coming Out Story

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MattF1, Mar 12, 2015.

1. MattF1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys, I started on this website back in late 2013 and haven't revisited it since March last year! I came out to all my school friends last year, and the response was only support (with surprise included). I can see that there are a lot of people struggling with coming out and I hope this story will help. So when I first joined this website I was really conscious and also very oblivious to the amount of amazing, lovely and supportive people on this website. I was confused and scared because I didn't know what to do. I created a thread saying that I was really angry with myself for being what I am, but now I realise that what I am is okay. When I came out to my best friend in early 2014, he gave me nothing but support and reassurance. I even feel stupid now because of how exaggerated my message to him was. It included sentences like "I would understand if you don't want to speak to me ever again". Silly right? So anyway, back to the story. In um.. Easter? Yeah. I was in class one Thursday and all of a sudden my mind just said it was ready. I was excited but very nervous at the reactions I would get. My best friend was excited too, and I gave him the honours of telling people. Straight away a stampede of people rushed over to me and said "Matt is it true?!" And when I said yes the girls were squealing and the boys were just shocked. A lot of people didn't believe me at first because I "act like a straight guy" according to them! There was not one person who didn't show complete support for me, and to be honest it's one of my proudest and best days of my life. I'm 15 now and still haven't told my parents. Sadly they're homophobic.... But I'm comfortable the way I am, I can be myself at school which I find makes school a bit more exciting. For all you people who are still in Narnia, get outta that closet. I guarantee you will not regret it. If you're not out to anyone, I suggest telling your best or most trusted friend first. Hope this helped guys! (!)

2. woahthatsboring

Very happy for you! I could never tell my parents that I'm into a girl they would freak... My whole family would probably freak even if I told them I was more into guys and happen to here and there have feelings for a girl they would still be like shame on you but hey! It's whatever but I get comments all the time that I am the less gay out of all my friends and Im just sitting there like the irony. Any advice.

Also reallly proud of you being so brave! I'm happy they accepted you and hopefully your parents do to :slight_smile:

3. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's really great to read your story Matt and I'm so pleased everyone has been supportive. You have a good support system in place for when its time to tell your parents.

4. GaspingJasper

Out Status:
    A few people
    You're so lucky! I love your story!

5. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations, Matt! I think your story will be helpful for a lot of people who haven't come out yet. I'm glad all the people from school support you. I agree with you; telling one of your best friends first is easier than telling your family. That's what I did the first time I came out.

Hopefully your parents will accept you someday.

6. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Young people today totally amaze me. You are such a brave young man and your friends are so special. I can totally understand your fear about coming out to your parents, after all they are my generation. They grew up in a time when being gay was illegal. When I was in my twenties EVERYBODY was homophobic including me, but my family and society have grown and changed. I initially came out to my mother by telling that I was getting therapy to "get me to like girls instead of men" she was shocked but accepted me. I then went back into the closet (and padlocked it). Recently I came out to my siblings (all of them about your parents age if not older) their reaction was positive in a way that was "so what".
    All I'm saying is that your parents might have more difficulty than your friends in accepting you but they will more than lightly accept you for who you are. Remember that it's a genetic thing that parents will always love their children unconditionally.
    To finish off I would like to express my admiration for your bravery and your friends reactions brings a tear to my eye.
    I think your story shows that world is in safe hands.
    Look after yourself.