1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outed to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Drizzt DoUrden, Nov 13, 2008.

1. So, as the title suggests, I was kind of "officially" outed to my mom today. Though it was also kind of by choice. Let me explain.

My parents have almost definitely been suspicious for a while. And this past month, they also discovered some "items" in my room, and some websites, that only strenghtened their suspicions. But it was like an elephant in the room; no one talked about it. Except for Tuesday night, when my mom sat me down and basically said she and my dad were concerned for me, but they would love me unconditionally.

Today, I went to my therapist. My mom went in to talk to her first. When I went in, my therapist said my mom wanted to ask me about my sexuality, but was afraid to broach the subject. So I admitted that I was gay, and said that she could tell my mom, because I really didn't want to. On the way home, my mom basically said that she would support me no matter what, and we'd just take it one step at a time.

As of right now, my dad may or may not have been told. I guess I'll find out sometime this weekend, possibly. But I think he'll take it well too, although it's probably not as easy for him, because I'm his only biological son (he has two step-sons that are my half-brothers). Overall, I feel a lot better now that it's out there. It will most likely remain a taboo subject to talk about and I prefer it that way.

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Congratulations! Your mom sounds like she's going to be fine. Good luck with your Dad! Be sure and tell your parents about PFLAG.

3. musican

Well it's good that your mom took it well, and that it was your decision to have your therapist tell her. I thought the same way after I told my mom, she talked to me for a while after I told her, but I couldnt wait until she stopped talking so that we could go back to having it be taboo. It took a few weeks before I was comfortable to talk more with her about it, but it still isnt easy. If you do decide that you want to talk to your parents, make sure that you let them know that you want to talk, or that they can bring it up if you would feel more comfortable with that. I came out to my mom by myself, but I still find i hard to talk to her about it, so my school counselor will email her from time to time letting her know what I want to tell her, but I dont feel I can talk to her about. Then my mom says that she got the email and we talk a little bit about what ever it is that is bothering me. Congrats on being out to your mom, be sure to let us know if your dad knows and how he reacts. And remember, if you cant talk to your parents about something, you always have us. :slight_smile:

4. george678

Well Done for coming out.

5. Dark Secret

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your Mother!

Mothers can be more intuitive than we give them credit for.

I remember when I came out to my Mother donkeys' years ago, the first thing she said was "I always knew you were, I was just waiting for you to tell me".

Give your Mother a little time to readjust her thoughts and I'm pretty certain that soon you'll be talking to her about your sexuality face-to-face rather than by Counsellor e-mail.