1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mother and my boyfriend(FTM)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RedRabbit, Mar 24, 2015.

1. RedRabbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I came out to my boyfriend and it went perfect!!!! He immediately started using my preferred name, pronouns, and calling me his boyfriend. And when anyone as school uses the wrong name/pronouns, he corrects them.
    However, I came out to my mother, and that went terribly. She said shes accepting, but talks about me to my sister about how I'm making permanent decisions about my body and how It's only just a phase. She acts like she forgot, and doesn't acknowledge my name or pronouns. I'm stuck, and don't know what to do. I was caught binding(actual binder) as well, and now if Im caught again I'll get yelled at and it'll probably get thrown away, as I've woken up to get looking through my stuff late at night. I'm lost on what to do now.

#1 RedRabbit, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all congrats on coming out, it is a brave and scary thing.
    WOW ..... what a super boyfriend! he's a keeper.
    With your mother it might help if you could get her to talk to a therapist that has experience of dealing with transgender issues. (Not all therapists have sufficient understanding of trans* issues)
    Also find your nearest trans* support group, it's great to talk to other people that are going through the sane sh1t.

(*hug*)

3. Nathaniel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Completly agree, a support group sound like it could help, and family therapy can be really helpful on a variety of issues, wether your with your mother in therapy or not. I think it would be best to find the right therapist however, as a therapist who sympathises with your mothers point of view could be counter productive. Best of luck, and tell your boyfriend that he should be proud of himself and you :wink:

4. Astral

OMG that story about your boyfriend is by far the cutest thing I've ever read here. That's so adorable, I'm so happy for you that you found someone who's willing to throw caution to the wind and love you no matter who you are inside! ^^

Definitely on the same page as the others regarding your mom -- Education will be the key to you two finding peace with each other. If you try to make it clear to her how much your sexual identity matters to you and how crushing it is to try and live your life otherwise, I'm sure it'd be hard to for her to see you that hurt. Support groups, books, even just sitting down for a good old fashioned Q&A are all productive solutions, so long as she's willing to participate ^^ Goodluck lovey!

5. RedRabbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thank you all!!! I definitely will try!! Although, some might be difficult as I live with my sister who knows, and is very against it all!! But thank you all for your kind words!