1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by newcastlenick, Nov 14, 2008.

1. newcastlenick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I felt sick to my stomach beforehand, I sorta asked them to sit down. My mam did but me dad stayed standing. I just blurted it out without really thinking and then there was a LONG pause. It was really awkward, I just sorta stood there trying to gauge their expressions. My mam then asked me if I was totally sure, and I said yes, and she gave me a hug. She then said we will love you no matter what. She asked me how long I'd known, I said probably a few years. My dad didn't say anything or show any real emotion at all. He then went upstairs while me and me mam hugged again. It was obvious that he wasn't happy. That was really tough because me and my dad are quite close.
    Anyways, now my parents know I feel a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. My close friends also know and they were really supportive.
    For some strange reason, I'm finding it harder to tell my brothers than my parents. Has anyone else found that?

2. slkayley

Sorry, i know this really isn't an answer to you're question but well done.

3. Smiley1123

Hi! Welcome to EmptyClosets! Thanks for joining us!
    Anyways, congratulations on coming out to your parents! It takes a lot of courage to do the terrifying task. I do not have any siblings but it may be because you aren't as close to them as you are to your parents? Just know that there is no pressure to come out to your brothers and sisters, it's your choice. And once again congrads!

4. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

Welcome to EC! :thumbsup:

I'm out to neither my parents nor my siblings, so I'm afraid I can't help much with your question. :confused:

5. Linkmaste

For dads its harder to tell them this kind of stuff. Even when I came out to my dad he didnt take it well. Just give him time if he wants to talk to you he will. Maybe you idolize your brother a lot and you dont want to dissipoint him? I dunno thats my theroy. Like I felt I was dissipointing my family by comming out to them.

6. Jeimuzu

You've done well, Nick. I'm impressed. I've never been able to come out to more than one at a time, well, not people who mean a lot to me. At university, it's easy, but at home... I'm still not out to my Dad.

I'm glad your mum took it so well. I think my mum's dealing with it, but she clearly hates thinking about it. She at first seemed to just regard it as a passing phase, now she just doesn't mention it.

I found my brothers weren't too difficult. And they dealt with it well. In fact, my friends and my siblings dealt with it fantastically; my sister said she was surprised I was gay, but it didn't seem to bother her. One of my brothers said he already knew (obvious, really; we used to share a computer), and the other one asked why I didn't tell him earlier. I pointed out that it's not easy to tell anyone, and he seemed happy enough with that.

If you've told your Dad, he's generally the hardest one by far, I find. Dads seem to be a bit more volatile than Mums, as a rule. They're a bit less gay-friendly, and although I know that my Dad is an intelligent man, and that if he thinks about it, he'll accept it, I'm not sure he'll take the time to think about it.