1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friends first?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Nathaniel, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Nathaniel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I completely understand why someone would want to come out to thier parents before anyone else, but in my personal experiance I found it much easier to come out to my friends than my parents. I feel this is because I'm not that close to my parents, but im really close with my friend, and she's the only person I've told up until now, I'm planning on coming out to my group of closest friends soon tho, but I'm interested; is it just me? Or do some people find or found it easier to come out to thier friends before thier family, or vice versa? Thx for taking the time to read, and feel free to share your opinion. (*hug*)

P.S sorry for spelling and/or Grama errors, I'm dyslexic!

2. headie2infinity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    When I was 14/15 I found it easier to tell my friends first, but that did me NO good. It lead me to recloset myself and not allow myself to really identify with who I really was on the inside. Now that I just recently told my family (and hey were not super close but that tends to change when you get into your twenties because your parents start to see you as an emerging adult), I feel like I can fully accept myself, simply because they know. I think it is easier to tell friends at your age because I didn't want to tell my family because I wanted to be taken seriously. However, my friends didn't take it as a big deal and I just didn't get the real reactions that I needed at the time. (I don't know if that makes sense) I would recommend telling your friends, but don't wait 8 years after that to tell your parents like I did! Tell you friends and let their reactions boost you up to telling your parents! If your parents don't understand, just tell them this is who I am, and I accept myself and I hope that you can be proud of that.

Good luck be strong!

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2015 at 05:01 PM ----------

Also I think that at a young age friends tend to change once you go to college or move out on your own, so those people that you have confided in may no longer be around to support your acceptance of being who you are. But your parents will always be there for a very long time and play a major role in your support system.