1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out on a Form...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by CuriousArticles, Mar 29, 2015.

1. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've told my sister and a couple of my closest friends I'm bisexual a while ago. It was pretty scary, but it kind of feels like it's been shoved under the carpet. We all know it's there, but never mention it. I'm scared to say anything, and I guess they leave it to me to bring it up, which is fair enough.

But I recently came out to my boyfriend, which was a really big deal and he was totally cool with it. And he's a lot more open to talking about it than anyone else too. So since then I feel like it's become more of a part of just who I am, and I've started to just generally accept it more which feels great. It doesn't feel like such a big deal anymore, and if someone were to accidentally find out, I'd be all, "Yeah, so what?"....Well, most of the time.

The other day I had to fill out a demographics form, and for the first time I felt comfortable selecting "Bisexual" for my orientation. I've gone through the phases of considering it but putting "straight", considering not disclosing, to just going for it. I mean, if someone had stood over me, I don't know what I would have put, but still. Feels like a big step. And I wanted to share it with your guys as you've all been so amazing.

Thank you all so much for everything. I don't know if I could have done it without you! (*hug*)

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are really brave. The first time I filled out a form like that, I selected "heterosexual" and I hated the feeling of lying. The second time, I wrote "questioning". I wish I had the guts that you have. With your confidence, you have nothing to fear.

3. headie2infinity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    That is great! I'm so happy you I just recently came out as bisexual (after ten years of denial) to my boyfriend and my whole family! It is so liberating. Congrats to you, it sounds like we have very similar stories.

4. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Headie, congrats back at you! It really is liberating. I've still got a long way to go. I'm far from out to the world, but it's getting there :slight_smile:

Awesome, I totally know that feeling of lying when these forms come up (And in other situations too). It's such a small thing, but such a huge personal victory. You'll get there when you're ready :slight_smile:

5. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations!

That's a unique feeling, coming out on a survey, isn't it? The first time I did it was on a survey sent out by my alma mater a year-ish ago. It felt weird yet liberating to answer "gay" on the form. Although, I think that may have been the first time in my life I can remember being asked about my sexuality on a survey not connected to an LGBT-related website. But given that the survey was done by a large public university, I'm not surprised that they were interested in following up on the real-world progress of their students of all orientations. It's a great feeling, nonetheless!

6. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had to do it loads, like whenever I re register to vote, and psych surveys for psychology students as I know way too many! And on health forms for referrals sometime too. I probably had to for my university at some point. But yeah. Feels like coming out without having to face anyone. It's coming out to myself.