1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slightly ironic...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by ColbieMarie, Nov 17, 2008.

1. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

So I was facebook chatting with a friend of mine a little bit ago.

Background, her sister dated my brother in high school (like 4-5 years ago). Since then her sister has come out and is a lesbian. During the few months that same sex was legal in CA she had a small wedding (like 5 people) on the beach. This weekend they're having a commitment ceremony//vow renewal with lots of family and such. My friend has to give a maid of honor speech and is freaking out because she doesn't know what to say. I was trying to help her come up with something to say.
    (I color coded it because it's kinda long)

Me: You should bring up me in the speech and then your family would be like who the eff is Courtney?
    Her: And make my family think I'm crazy?
    Me: It's ok, they already think you're crazy.
    Her: I know, but this will make it worse. I don't fit in with any of my aged cousins. 4 of them are gay, including my sister.
    Me: Wow, that's a lot.
    Her: Yeah, one is bi.
    Me: No one in my family is gay, and if they were they wouldn't say anything.
    Her: And one is in the closet, but nobody would ever believe her if she said she was straight. Remember I have 19 first cousins.
    Me: I only have 4.
    Her: So it's about 1/4.
    Her: One of your cousins is possibly gay. Or your brother.
    Me: Well, or me...
    Her: Yeah, you do like Kendra a lot (We had been talking about The Girls Next Door the day before and I like Kendra)
    Me: Yeah. But for reals. I'm not really sure or anything, but yeah.
    Her: I love gay people.
    Me: I noticed.
    Her: Haha
    Me: Yeah...

and then the conversation randomly went another direction.

I feel kinda weird about it because we didn't really talk about it at all...idk..

2. Bunny

Well you came close anyway, and at least she has her suspicions.

3. buriedinhw7

I wonder if she thinks you were being serious. At least you came out and said it could be you though!

4. musican

There are so many conversations that I have with people that are similar to that, where I can come out really simply, but I don't. Usually it happens in school and I dont want to come out in school becuase people here are really rude to me now and they dont know for sure that I'm gay. Congrats for saying it. I just wonder if she thinks that you're joking, or that you're serious. It doesnt sound like it would matter much to her either way, so if your curious if she thinks that you were joking, I would say just ask her.

5. Amy

Amy

I think I know who your taling about...do I... o.Ô

If I do, awesome. If not, still awesome.

If its who I think it is, she's probably like "whatever, doesn't matter to me if you're gay or bi or anything else." She's hella chill about it. LOL

If it isn't, wait for the conversation to bring itself back up. Since its on your mind, it may come sooner rather than later, but don't push it.

6. Jesse Jinx

Well congrats for having the courage anyway. Either way she sounds like she'll be fine with it. When the conversation brings itself back up in some way (Mabye talk about politics or gay rights) just kind of gently renew the idea.

Make sure to let us know what happens. :grin:

7. shulbert441

shulbert441 Guest

I found that this happens to me a lot. My sexuality is brought up casually and then my friends know the true me! I think that this is actually one of the best reactions someone can have because it shows that they don't feel the need to discuss anything. They know that even though they know more about you, that you are the same person in their eyes and they are fine with leaving it at that.