1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Formality, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Formality

I admit it I was a bit drunk, still am. I don't regret it because without being so, I would've probably pussied out. So me, my mom and my brother were sitting around the kitchen table late night listening to old music, talking. We were listening to "your song" by Elton John, and my brother said something like "it's disturbing to think that this song was written by a man to another man". And like so many times before I took stand against his homophobic remarks by calling him out on it. So we argued for a short while, then he said something like "it's disgusting and weird and I don't want homosexuals doing it in front of me, in my face". I responded with "well I guess it sucks then that your brother is gay"... I just couldn't hold it in any longer, and with the alcohol running through my veins it felt so much easier. I lost my voice obviously from coming out and started tearing up. He didn't say a thing and instead just awkwardly looked away. I eventually left the room and my mom, a few minutes later, stopped him to talk to him. He apparently told her that he had a guess that I was probably gay already.

Later my mom came in to my room and she was like super excited, more than I was and am atm even, and we talked for a bit. Funny thing came up, she apparently told my aunt a.k.a. her sister this week about my sexuality and they were super happy-excited and talking about how my life was gonna be so fun and amazing because gay men are so fabulous or something :lol:

I never saw this side of my mom before and we hugged and were very happy together. I'm interested to see what tomorrow brings about in terms of conversations. Should be quite interesting, to say the least, to see what my brother might have to say about my recent confession!

Just thought I'd share this before I lose track of what actually happened.
    (*hug*)(*hug*):kiss::kiss:

2. vrygy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's great, I'm happy your mom was excited and supportive! Sorry about your brother, but hopefully your brother's opinion of gay people will change now that he knows someone personally who is gay, and can see we aren't all that gross :slight_smile: great job!

3. Van

Van

Hey, congrats on coming out to your brother! At least you don't have to keep it a secret any more. Hopefully you two will get to talk about it. Keep us posted. And so happy that your mom and aunt are so supportive. (*hug*)

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, I suspect your brother will come around, the most important thing is to not bury it again, but guys do have a hard time talking about it. It will be more real once you have a boyfriend, so for the time being, don't worry if he doesn't want to know anything more about it...it will take time for him to process it.

Your mom is amazing, count yourself very lucky!

5. Formality

Thanks everyone :slight_smile: I think I was just overreacting about my brother the other day. He seems just like normal and we talk like normal and laugh and stuff, it's a lil bit like there's an elephant in the room at times but mostly everything is normal. He hasn't said anything about it since and I've noticed he's refrained from using the word gay when he usually would've. I think he'll be completely cool with it eventually. Now there's just my other brother and lastly my dad left :slight_smile:

6. Foz

Foz Guest

Sorry to hear that was your brother reaction, I could quite easily go on about how every time I go into town the shopping centre is full of straight couples mashing their faces together! "well I guess it sucks then that your brother is gay", that is classic :roflmao:

7. amigec

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, I love that coming out story! I was also drunk when I came out to my brother. Sadly, I was drunk when I came out to pretty much anyone. But at least they know now. :slight_smile: Your brother will lighten up after some time, so don't stress about that. Seems you're excited about being out and you should be! Now you'll feel more free to live the life you want. Congratulations!!! :slight_smile:

8. Ashleigh16

Contests! Happy about your mom and hope things work out with your brother and anyone else :slight_smile:

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I shall afford myself one non-English word here. GRATTIS! CONGRATULATIONS! Good for you! Sorry to hear about your brother, but you know we've a bit of a macho culture and guys get insecure when confronted with reality. I highly recommend this stand-up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QouJEDVNt6s 8.35 the gay-relevant part starts :slight_smile:
    Good luck in the future! <3