1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I was pretty much forced out the closet..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Emm018, May 7, 2015.

1. Emm018

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had been hinting to one of my closest friends that I didn't think I was straight for about a year and she was totally cool about it - lets call her L, which made me want to tell my other two best friends, who I told last December but I made them promise not to tell anyone else yet because I wasn't ready.
    I met up with one of those friends in January, where she told me that L had been telling everyone at their school that I was gay since before Christmas. This forced me to come out to people I wasn't ready to since I live in a town where news spreads fast around everyone.
    There were some other friends who I wanted to tell personally before they found out from others, I ended up telling them when I was drunk because I could barely say the word gay when I was sober. They were all fine with it, and basically said they had their suspicions about me for years but didn't want to ask.
    I told my mum in case she heard from anyone, and she said 'at the end of the day it's none of my business' and that was it for a couple weeks, then my sister told me she had been slagging me off behind my back, and then told me she didn't want to live with me because it was too uncomfortable. I gave her sometime to process it, and now she seems to have accepted me although she doesn't say much and is still hoping it's a phase.

I guess at the end of the day, some people will take longer to come around because it might be an initial shock and not the lifestyle choice they want for you - especially family. Also, you should be careful who you confide in if you aren't ready to come out to many people yet. But always remember that you should never be ashamed of who you are, and it may take time to be sure and to fully accept yourself but that's okay, just never feel pressured into thinking you have to come out if you aren't ready or to put a label on yourself.:kiss:

2. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry you were forced into coming out to so many people before you were ready. That really sucks. (*hug*)

But it seems like you've got a good handle on things.

This is pretty sound advice. You've got your head screwed on pretty tight there :slight_smile:

3. Screaming Soul

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being comfortable with yourself,is really all that matters.

4. HugasaurusRex

I am sorry about you being forced to come out, but I love 1: how you seem to have handled it and 2: people were generally accepting (Hopefully!)

You sound like a very mature person, I love it :grin:

5. MetalRice

I'm sorry that you were forced out, but glad that it went well at least.