1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Having "the talk" with my sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by sartorious, May 13, 2015.

1. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its now official people...
    I'M OUT
    AND THIS TIME ITS COUNT (not like the last time)

Short Story:
    I came out in front of LGBT shelter home dedicated but not exclusively for trans people, she initially though that i was trans before i gay her out (i meant "straighten" her out)
    I was hoping for just a simple acceptance, nothing more... But when she show/give me her full support i was over the moon

Full Detail
    i'll try to be as brief as i can, but i cant give any guarantee

Background :
    1. Around 2 weeks ago i told one of my co worker about my sexuality because i tired of her "flirty" behavior. She did not take it seriously...
    2. Last week i test my family water and found out only my sister' water have "neutral" sort of calm wave, but not positive

so, i'm tired of this uncertainty and no support from anybody outside online comms. I'm in my early 20's, until when will i wait? i decided yesterday that today is the day.

My brother's graduation ceremony from semi-military high school is this weekend, my parent gonna arrive at Friday and my sister arrived This morning at 11.25 local time.

this 2 day is my only chance to have "alone time" and break out from my closet

11.05 Grab a car key and head down to the airport
    11.40ish Arrived at the airport and found out that the plane is 15 mins delayed so i'm sort of on time

i greet my sist and we drive to find lunch, we decided to go to the only place that sells a kind of traditional food

12.20ish arrived at the traditional restaurant and found out only one portion of food left... we decided to eat there anyway and share the food
    13.00 finished eating and i drove her to my pre planned coming out place

i parked across the shelter home for LGBT but mostly dedicated for transgender people. The cis people were looked normal but the trans people looks more like drag queen that wore excessive make up. Since social insurance does not cover hormonal treatment, all trans ppl here are unable to get the "transition" they need. Unless they can afford it by themselves (which is very expensive)...

she asked me why we are stopping in front of such place.

i froze

she asked me again

i stay quiet

she asked me for the third time

and finally i can made a sound, it felt hard to speak... i told them that i'm one of them (the LGBT+).

her respond in Indonesian (i try to translate them to English but some of the slang does not cover so here's the outline)
    "That's disgusting. What's wrong with you... Since when you start liking to cross dress? Are you also begging for money under the traffic lights like all they do? Did you sell youself in the ****** or beside the railroad? The koran said god create Men and Woman in pair, and it doesn't mention anything between those two."

by all her word i guess that she think i'm a trans.

my respond, i try not to cry or show any anger due to her respond
    "i don't believe in god anymore. If god is about love and peace to all mankind than our parents have done their job that terribly wrong. no i'm not a crosdresser or a trans if that's the thing you have in your mind. do i even look like i'm trans? I've lived with them for 5 days, all i can say is they're all a good people in a bad place because they’re thrown away by us, us who believe that we are above than them, us who think we the majority and we took away their right from them. Dont treat them differently because they look different or they act different. Yes got did not mention anything other than a men and woman, but i do believe that some men get paired with another men as well as some woman paired with another woman."

that moment i really want to burst to tears

she asked me what do i meant by part of them

ME: "what i meant by i‘m part of them is that i like men, the way you like a men.”
    SIS: "so you’re what… a gay"
    ME: "i am"

followed by a looong silence, i swear it was like an hour conversation but my wrist watch says its just 30 mins or so…

ME: “talk to me sis, say something”
    SIS: “what else you want me to say”
    ME: “anything, judge me like you always do, do the sarcastic thing, just talk to me”
    SIS: “What about *****, you already mention this girl lots of time in family dinner, and the way you sound you two are very close"
    ME: “i broke it off 3 weeks ago, I don’t want to lead her on for our parents satisfaction"
    SIS: “speaking of dad, you know you and i can’t tell this to anyone right?”
    ME: “i know, i’m a dead man walking. i’m telling you because i can’t do this all by myself”
    SIS: “ you want me to call the police and file a crime report if anything happen?? “
    ME: “its not a joke”
    SIS: “i know its not, just easing up the tension, and ps you’re not the only dead man walking”
    ME: “so you’re like okay me being gay”
    SIS: “ofc i'll be on your back,…

-long sort of meaningless conversation-

ME: ”last week when i ask you about the gay couple why you seems less accepting that this”
    SIS: “They’re not my family, what they do, what they accomplish is not of my business. but since you are then i can only give you my support. Can we please leave this place, it started to creep me out"

She told me that she have a new BF (super cute 17 yo foreigner probably 5’8 or 5’9), but he’s christian and my sister is also started to question her faith in god. Dad threaten her to never see him again with disownment threat. (apparently in love with a person with different religion and started to question god means disownment, being gay means death)

She told me she enroll to a fancy high school abroad and planning to college and uni abroad as well so she can cut off the tie soon. and i told her about my meeting with exchange officer about my plan to study abroad.

i’m sort of jealous now, even she can start a new life abroad sooner than i am (she’s 15 now and i’m in my early 20’s)

She is the first person i have "the talk" with, and i'm glad that i picked her
    i cant believe that my 15 year old sister is more mature and can handle my c4 better than my 50+ year old parent.
    SHAME ON THEM

This pup is extremely relieved and happy now
    It turned out to be a good day
    arffffoooo

2. biisme

Congratulations on telling your sister! I'm glad that she is supportive of you! :slight_smile:

3. HugasaurusRex

I am so happy for you! The good ole doggie is out and accepted by your sister! :grin: Wroof!