1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Cousin

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Geist, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know if this is exactly where to post this but it is a coming out story just not mine.

A cousin of mine just came out. She had apparently been hiding it for a long time. She is in her 20's so she is out of the house and no one in the family has heard from her in over a year and I guess this is why.

As strange as this may seem I actually feel a little better about my being gay now or at least I'm not too worried about some of my aunts and uncles. I guess I don't feel quite so alone since I am not the only gay person in my family.

I am really happy that she was finally able to come to terms with it and is comfortable enough to come out. I still haven't seen her in over a year but hopefully she will come over for Christmas.

2. ScentedRegrets

I think I can relate very closely to how you feel. I turned 24 about two months ago, and I am getting ready to move out. I am going to be purchasing a townhouse in the next six months, and I have decided to wait until that time to come out to my father. In terms of my family, only my mother and my uncle know. Outside of my family, all of my friends know. However, once I get my own place, I will let my entire family know.

Anyway, back to my point. Once you are out on your own, there is a lot less tension. I can already feel that - even if I told my father today, I still would not feel comfortable bringing a boyfriend home under his roof. So, why complicate things until I am out on my own? I believe that he will be okay about it in the long run, but there are a few people in my family that I am actually quite concerned about. But, once I move out and begin my own life, what will it really matter if a select few no longer want to associate themselves with me?

So, in more words or less, I know exactly how you feel. You're not alone!