1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I spoke too soon.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by IceFox, Jun 4, 2015.

1. IceFox

Out Status:
    Family only
    I thought my family accepted me, but I was wrong. Long emotional "discussion" Were they kept going on and on about how they would never consider that i was trans or anything about it "cause its a core part of who we are" and "what would people think of us if we were willing to change our minds about a belief". They reacted positively to Caitlyn Jenner coming out. They reverted to being more religious.

I sent a coming out email with lots of helpful information and stuff, They never even read it. They did however run to a baptist preacher to get his "opinion". Thats the last time i have anything to do with those freaks.

2. fortune

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not a lot of people will say this, but good for you for cutting off contact with your family. It's all too common that people seek approval of a disapproving and unloving family, when there is no need for it. Please get out before they hurt you more.

If you want to maintain contact in the future, I would give them some time. Be prepared to let them back into your life if they show you compassion and support. If they don't, they have no place in your life. Those who care for you will come to you.

You might think this is too soon, but there is no perfect timing for anything. This way you don't have to suffer in silence any longer. So, well done for being honest and open! :slight_smile:

Remember that you are perfectly wonderful and deserve all the love and support. You are brave for coming out. Just make sure that you look for support in the right places. And now you know that your family is the wrong place. But that's okay. In my opinion, 'family' is a much overestimated phenomenon. Families can make you feel extraordinarily unfamiliar. If that happens, the only way is out. Both out of the closet, and out of their lives.

I encourage you to meet new people on your own terms (go to LGBT community groups, meetings, Gay Pride, LGBT bars, cafés, find some local events online etc) and you can call these people your new and true family one day. :slight_smile:

#2 fortune, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  3. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

Well, I'm kind of in an opposite situation. My family actually ended up being more tolerant after starting to associate with a moderate (enough) religious congregation, and my mom has even been developing a bit of positive emotion regarding me being a gay guy, rather than just stunned silence. It's one of those things that I tell kids with religious parents all the time: how involved your parents are is not a good bellwether for how they will behave, and you're sometimes in more trouble if they are super-conservative yet not very actively religious. An example of where really religious parents can also be potentially alarming is one kid who came on here recently saying his parents were Seventh-Day Adventists who were prejudicial even toward other Christians and really wildly anti-gay. It's not the fact they were religious that made me very leery of them, but it's the fact that they were openly intolerant.

But not even reading the educational materials that you sent them, that's really just active disrespect, and it underlines a level of dysfunction, in your relationship with them, that goes a lot deeper than just your gender identity. The way you talk about this "discussion," it sounds like they viewed you as some decoration, only valuable insofar as how you reflect upon their own status. Well, I am watching parents who behave in that way, and I see what they're doing.

Maybe someday you might give them a second chance, but it sounds strongly like you deserve some time to cool.

#3 Christiaan, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015