1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this is a test

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by slipperyman, Dec 9, 2008.

1. slipperyman

With me having just came out to one of my friends, I felt the need to tell another one of my friends. However unlike my other friend, I didn't really know how this person would react. So I felt the need to test her, I told her I was gay and then after a day or two I told her that I wasn't gay, but that this was a test. I told her that I had tpo see how a person would react and write a paper on it. Howecer this wasn't true, after I saw how she reacted and would feel about me being gay, I told her that the whole thing was a test to see if I could trust her, and she passed. So I told her that I am bi sexual and took it really well. I know it was kinda mean but it was the only way I could find out if she was a true friend.

2. slkayley

I'm going to say, try and not do that often, you'll lose more friends by insulting your friendship like you just did than keep them and the fact that your gay will be surpassed by the lack of apparent trust.

"You catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar."

Just be honest with your friends, being orientated differently, isn't an excuse to test your friends loyalty and trust, its a time to rely on their loyalty and trust.
    If you have reason to doubt a "friend" aswell, i don't think its truly the person you should be confiding in, in the first place.

Honesty is always the best policy in the long run, i've learnt that the hard way.

3. Markio

Yeah, a better "test" would be to see how they react to homosexuality or gay marriage in politics and things like that. That way you find out their opinion without hiding your own on the subject.

I've spoken to my roommates on the subject, and while one tried to make unsuccessful jokes about gay people because he's an idiot that can't make a joke to save his life anyway, the other was willing to share his opinions on the subject. I ended up assuring him later that I knew a few gay guys in high school and that I didn't like the way they were treated, so that's why I care about the subject. It was true, even though I left out that I was gay myself.

4. Trumpetplyer23

I've always just come out to people. I never really tested them or anything. I'd talk to them about gay marriage and stuff, and I can usually tell who's homophobic.

I'm one of those people that throw caution to the wind and just do something. Probably not the best policy, but it worked for me.

However it's good that she reacted pretty well, but I wouldn't recommend doing the same thing to other friends.

5. summersforecast

:eusa_clapvery interesting! i think i would be to afraid to do that because I'm extreemly paranoid about people thinking I'm gay. I guess thats just what happens to a person like me who has been forced to live in the closet for so long.:icon_sad:

6. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    nice quote

7. Shaylyn

A friend of mine did that to me once, I was pretty annoyed. It hurt that they didn't trust me enough to tell me forthright.

I know it's hard to just tell people without testing the water...but sometimes it's better to have faith in them, especially if they're your friend.

8. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Despite being a good quote, it is completely untrue. I had a fruit fly problem in my kitchen and I poured some apple juice into vinegar and I caught them all within a day.

And now you may resume your broadcast of the UK's hit show, "To Trust is to Trick!"