1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SO many emotions!! It's incredible!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by username41489, Jun 22, 2015.

1. username41489

First of all, WOW. I came out to a select few people over the past 4 years (I've known about being lesbian or kind of bisexual for my whole life), and that was somewhat rough, but I really trusted those people, so it wasn't that bad. So for 4 years, I kept it in a tight knit circle of close friends and some family. This weekend, I just had enough of hiding, on a whim, I decided to tell my closest friends from home (which is a very conservative place), and they were beyond supportive. It was truly amazing and I never felt so relieved! Then came the difficult part - telling my mom, dad, and maternal grandmother. I believe that these people all deserve to know, and so I called in (I live across the country) and had my sister (who knew my secret for 4 years) and them all sit down and speak to me on speakerphone. A few introductory sentences, and then BAM. I'm gay (or confused about the bisexual part). So I just said it. It was quiet for a little. Then my sister stepped in and said, she was so proud of me, and knows that this was such an uphill battle. My parents, although not too surprised, still had to take everything in. Especially my dad. He said that he loves me no matter what, just needs some time to absorb this, and truly understand this. He comes from a conservative upbringing, and has said some homophobic things in the past, which I found insulting, but realized that he was very ignorant and brought up that way. Anyways, my grandmother was the most supportive of all (besides my sister) and wants to celebrate! Haha, HOW awesome is that!!! Although I'm very happy with how this turned out, I still have some moments where I cry and just get very emotional, but it is worth it. I don't have to hide anymore! I'm free to be who I am, finally!!! So to be subtle and express myself on social media, I posted a photo of an empty closet and captioned it "Check out that empty closet. #freedomcentral" I've never been happier. I know it will deter some "friends" but I don't really care, the people who matter the most have been most supportive. And that's all I care about now!

Ah, I just wanted to share this news! I know I'm not special in any way, everyone on this forum is dealing with coming out, being out, or whatever, but it's such a liberating feeling!!! I'm riding this wave and loving every minute of it. I actually kind of want to throw a coming out party hahaha. Is that too much? Lol :slight_smile: anyways, I'm just very happy and thought I would share. Thanks for reading!!

-SR

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job! Their reactions sound so awesome! Having a coming out party is a cute idea~
    It really is a liberating feeling, isn't it?

3. username41489

Oh, it's SO amazing!!! I have lived a lie for 26 years, and finally I can be who I really am. I hope that future generations don't have to hide or keep secrets throughout their lives. It's upsetting that some people go through their entire lives and aren't able to truly live the life they were given. Anyways, that's my hope for the future, it's all uphill from here!