1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my dad... I need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Cubiculum, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Cubiculum

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    After leaving for school this morning, I texted my dad and came out to him as biromantic gay (I could've just said gay, but I wanted to hold back nothing).

I explained what it was, and he said "you'd better be joking", and proceeded to say he was crying, that I was too young to know, and that if he could turn me straight he would. He then told me to get on with my schoolwork, which I did. However he did reassure me that he was my dad, and that I was not a disappointment, but that I should forget about 'all this sexual s****'

After spending most of the day with my school's support league, I went home. He came home eventually, and he's being very chirpy. He's acting as if nothing was said, and has made no mention of it whatsoever (no bother if he did, my stepmum already knows).

I'm not gonna bring up the topic, because he's currently calm and I'd like him to stay that way. But... what do I make of it? Is he trying to adjust? Is he trying to ignore it? Does he think I was having a laugh? Is he secretly being optimistic that I am confused, and that I'll turn out straight?

My head is spinning

#1 Cubiculum, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Elliott

Give him time. he's in shock and it will take a while for him to come around. He needs to go through the denial-anger-bargaining-grief-acceptance process, and he may be in the denial stage.
    From what you say he sounds like a reasonable father and he will come round.
    Take care.