1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to Family/Friends (All Depends)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Shyvin, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Shyvin

This is my first post here, I apologize for not making a thread in the introduction boards.

My name is Steven, I am twenty-three years old. I am gay, but none of my close friends or family know. Despite the fact that I am trying to find the courage to do so. It is so hard. I've never been good with people, and I am a really shy person for my age. Quite anti-social. So I wrote a letter for them...

Now I have spoken to a number of people through other message boards. Some of them suggest that letters aren't personal enough. Whilst others think they are perfectly fine methods to come out. I am here to ask you all what your opinion is on the matter. Also, if enough of you are interested in reading the letter I will post it up. (By editing this post and adding it later.) It all depends.

Nice to meet you all, and I hope to become part of the family!

-Steven

2. Grof142007

Welcome to EC Steven Me Personally I came out in a letter because i wouldn't be able to get all the meaning out in person. There nothing wrong with coming out in a letter.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there and welcome to EC! Glad you joined. :slight_smile:

Letters are personal and are a good way to come out if you feel that this is the best way for you to come out. At the same time, writing a letter allows you to write all your thoughts down which could actually help you to speak someone in person then. Feel free to post the letter or if you feel more comfortable sending it via pm, feel free to do so (click on my user name, and then select 'Send a private message').

Often being in the closet does have an impact on how social we are because at some level we are afraid of saying the wrong things or outing ourselves. I am sure that if you start coming out, you will feel more social or at least more able to connect with people. Coming to terms with my sexual identity and coming out to my friends, has helped me a lot to be myself and a lot more open about myself.

Remember that your first coming out is always the hardest one. But once you have passed that hurdle it will only become easier. Start with your best friend, someone who you can really trust and now will support and accept you. Then take it from there. With time you will get there. Take your time and go according to what you feel comfortable with.

I hope this helps a bit. Welcome to EC!

4. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome!

I had come out to most of my friends before I came out to my family, and even though I had come out to so many people I still found it difficult with my parents to do it face to face. I wrote my parents a letter and left it for them and all was well.

It's perfectly acceptable. Some people will tell you with an e-mail or even a text message, some people will give you a phone call, and some people will tell you face to face. Whatever suits the situation, and the people involved.

Good luck to you! :slight_smile: