1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally got it out there

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by VomAnderenUfer, Dec 22, 2008.

1. VomAnderenUfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was out with my mother at a restaurant when she suddenly asked me the question: "Are you gay?" I simply responded, yes, I am gay.

She went off on a monologue about how she thought I was "taking the easy way out" and that I just hadn't given guys a chance and she doesn't believe me, etc. etc. She started crying, and I knew it was time to leave, so we went to the car and I drove her home. On the way, she started screaming. She screamed some things that I didn't know she had in her. I won't go into that.

When we got home she told my dad, who just sat on the couch and finished his football game without comment. Later he told me that he loves me "no matter what you think you are." My mom apologized later for going crazy, but she still says I should give guys a chance.

So... I finally got it out there. The experience sucked terribly, but I knew it would. They don't believe me, but denial is the first step.

In a way, it's relieving to have finally shattered their image of me. Particularly recently, I was feeling very constrained by their attitude towards me as "their little girl". And now, I don't have to worry about what I say or what a friend of mine might let slip.

:slight_smile:

I just don't know how long it will take for them to process the reality. But the first part is over! :icon_bigg

2. Mickey

Not exactly how you envisioned your coming out,I'm sure. I think now that it's out,it
    just may get easier. Your mom knew,but didn't want to know. I'm sure that's
    why she reacted the way she did when you confirmed what she already suspected.
    You made it real.
    Maybe you could talk to your dad and see how he really feels. He may be a good ally with your mom. I think your mom needs time to accept this,now that she knows.
    Good luck. It's hard now,but it will get easier.

3. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I think the worst part of it is done! Congratulations :slight_smile: Now I`m sure your mom will surely make her way up to acceptance. My mom still has some denial issues. She`ll say something like ``you wouldn`t like to go out with a rich lawyer`` and i say sure as long as it`s a girl :slight_smile: lol She`ll just roll her eyes. But I know they love me so that`s all that matters.

4. Jim1454

Good for you! I'm glad you've got it out there. Obviously the thought had crossed her mind, or your mom wouldnl't have asked you! So it wasn't a complete surprise - she made it a little easier on you by bringing it up! You should thank her! (Well, maybe her reaction afterwards kind of cancels that out... :icon_wink)

At any rate, congratulations! You did it!

5. TheRoof

i wish someone would ask me those kinds of questions so that i can just say "yes, i'm gay". it would make coming out so much easier lol -_-

6. summersforecast

wow thats so brave of you! congrats on comming out to her. you inspire me!

7. cjtom

cjtom Guest

Well done you! :thumbsup:

I don't think that was all that bad! I'm sure when you bring a lovely girl home for them to meet it will really start to set in!