1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally came out or Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by guitar, Jul 31, 2015.

1. guitar

Finally came out ON Facebook*

For the past couple of years I've been out to a good number of friends and family members. My immediate family and closest friends all know, and I make it a point of telling new acquaintances as well. However, I still wasn't out to several close family members, simply because they haven't been around much lately, and I prefer to tell people in person whenever possible.

The last month really began to nag at me for being out to most people and not others. My grandmother hasn't been around much for the last couple of years, and a few weeks ago my boyfriend and I were at dinner with her. Because I wasn't out to her, he was my "friend." I hated that feeling and felt sorry for him.

This past Sunday night I had finally had enough and began drafting a letter. I was going to tell everyone, starting with dear old Grams. On Tuesday I met her for coffee and spilled the beans about everything. We spent a few minutes chit-chatting and finally she stopped me, and said "okay young man, what's the real reason for this visit?" "Well, you know that guy you met at dinner a few weeks ago..." "You're going to tell me you're gay aren't you?" "Yes." "That's wonderful and I love you unconditionally." (!)

After coming off of that high, yesterday (Thurs) I posted my letter (which I'm rather proud of) to Facebook. I put my heart on my sleeve, discussed my past, my depression while being closeted, and the hope I now have for the future being out. This way, everyone in my life could know. No more being half-out of the closet. The response was overwhelming as I was set awash in a tidal wave of love and support. Literally HALF of the people on my friends list wrote comments of support, or texted/private messaged me to congratulate me. What's more, three friends came out to me!

Yesterday was one of the best days of my life. Five years of the torture of the closet is over. I'm now out to basically everyone, and have never felt better or more open. No more secrets. No more saying "friend" with some people and "boyfriend" with others. He's my BOYFRIEND dammit! :slight_smile:

I owe this forum a debt of gratitude for being a place of support, and for seeing me through that final step in my coming out process. Onward and upward! (*hug*)

#1 guitar, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. LezzyLizzyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is so sweet! I am glad it all worked out for you. I am definitely sure if was one of the best moments in your life, it would be for me as well.

I never had a "real coming out" I realized that yesterday as I was looking through the forums. So I posted on FaceBook:
    "I don't think I ever "actually" came out. Is there anyone who didn't know I am Lesbian?"
    Ha I got smartass remarks like "whoa you are? I had NO idea" but of course they knew. Then I got a bunch of likes. I guess everyone knew, I didn't ever have to actually say it. Weird I guess. I feel so different from everyone here. I am like the odd one out.

3. guitar

That's awesome, I'm so glad you for! Congrats Lizzy! :slight_smile: It's funny, the amount of people who said they either knew or strongly suspected rather shocked me. Though my profile contains a good number of obvious clues. It's such a change from when I first came out getting the "WTF, you're gay?! I'm shocked!" to hearing "Yeah, I kind of suspected..." But it's all good. I feel a million times better with everyone being in the loop.

4. LezzyLizzyy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I can only imagine how good it feels! It's always nice to have everyone know. Especially when pretty much everyone you know is supportive. One of my Aunts who were the most supportive of me passed away a few months ago. So its been pretty hard without her. But everyone in my life it supportive, but she always talked to me, about anything and everything.

5. guitar

Awww I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. That's gotta be really tough losing someone so close and someone who provided that important confidant role for you. *lots of hugs!*

6. Mickey 29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! Yeah, I've thought about doing the Facebook post. Just have one of my brothers and my grandfather to tell (in person) first. But even though pretty much every one else that I've known for any extended period of time knows, there's something about just putting it out there, and not leaving any ambiguity that must be so freeing.

Congrats!

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fantastic news guitar. Really pleased for you. Feels so much better, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

8. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congratulations Guitar, I'm very happy for you! :slight_smile:

9. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Congratulations! That took a lot of courage ^_^

10. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

That is fantastic! Congratulations and it's awesome that you had the bravery to do that!:kiss:

11. violagirl89

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congratulations Guitar! :slight_smile: I've got my "interested in" section hidden on Facebook. >_<

12. BioBehemoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congratulations! :grin:

13. BlueRazzberry

Out Status:
    A few people
    Awesome! I always wish that someday I'll have the nerve for that. Congrats! Inspiring story :thumbsup:(!):eusa_danc

14. Qaz

Qaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congrats to you and your BF! Wish I could do the same.

15. 50ishandout

Spectacular. Great felling isn't it.

16. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats! Great news indeed.

17. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds incredible. Congratulations!

18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same, since I "friended" my auntie in law on Facebook and she's a strict catholic who used to live in a rather heavily catholic country, so I'm a bit worried how she'd react if she ever found out so I just leave the "interested in" section blank on my profile.

#18 Canterpiece, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  19. guitar

You know, it's funny. I have friends who've been out for a decade and their interested in section is blank. Most of my straight friends have that section filled in with the opposite gender, but none of my gay or bi friends do. I'm the only one.

20. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Finally got to read you story guitar! Great job and I hope to be "facebook out" official very soon! Again congratulations glad to hear it went very well!