1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to my dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by PositivelyMe, Aug 7, 2015.

1. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been thinking about it for a while, and I wanted to just say it. So I did. I just blurted out, "Dad, I'm gay."

He said so? And I asked him if he knew, he said no and asked me when I decided. I said a couple years ago.

It could've been a lot worse, but I feel like I wanted more. I feel like we're never going to actually talk about it, and that bothers me. Other people have had it a lot worse, but I feel like he's just not acknowledging it.

Oh well, at least I did it.

2. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, first of all congratulations on coming out, it's never easy.

I can kind of understand your reaction but at the same time I find it amazing how well your father reacted. He doesn't see being homosexuality as something bad, something that needs talking about, and he is right. What would you want him to say ? He has no problem with you being a lesbian because for him it's no different/ more problematic than being straight and very few people see it that way.

You could always mention your homosexuality casually in the future by mentioning your crush or troubles you may have to bring the subject back on the table and have his deeper opinion but I think you should just be thrilled that he loves you regardless of your sexuality and that he happens to be so accepting of the LGBT community and of your sexuality. Thumbs up to him. :slight_smile:

3. Mickey 29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My Mom said the same thing. Well, first she asked if I was serious about 20times...

To me, it was the best response. I knew she'd be cool with it, but the nonchalance made me feel amazing. We did, however, talk at length afterwards, and have talked about it since...

He may just be trying to show you that it isn't a big deal, and you don't need to explain anything to him. He may not realize that it's been a personal struggle for you. I'd say try and let him know you want to discuss it further with him.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Like Mickey said, he might just trying to show you that it's not an issue for him at all. since you're disappointed at his reaction why don't you try talking it out with him?