1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by gaius, Dec 26, 2008.

1. gaius

gaius Guest

i'm in a much better place it terms of coming out than i was when i first joined this site a few weeks ago, ive now come out to two people who i know and trust, i feel lost now because im not ure who else i can tell, i dont want to tell parents just yet and im not sure which one of my friends to tell, ive got 3 flatmates at university i would like to tell but after working so hard to make a good impression in the first term im worried that this could damage my friendship with them....
    anyone got any ideas?
    ste
    xx

2. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I was in your situation. I had told a couple people and it went well and I wanted to tell more people, but there wasn't anyone else that I felt comfortable telling.

Sorry I'm not much help.

(or any help at all)

3. gaius

gaius Guest

ty its still nice not to feel alone :slight_smile:

4. Dazed

Dazed Guest

if your not a 100 percent sure you can trust your flatmates i wouldnt tell them just yet. it may be best to see how they feel about gays and go from there.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Congratulations on coming out to two of your friends. Way to go! :slight_smile:

If you want to continue coming out just try to think about who would or could be supportive and accepting. Depending on how well you know your flatmates and how well they know you, and if you would feel comfortable with them knowing, give it a try. If you have made a good impression already and they like you for you, why should your sexual identity change that? At the same time, if you are afraid that this might damage your friendship wait a bit and try to find/figure out as to what their views are on homosexuality.

What you also could do is just drop some hints. For example, is there a GLBT support group at your university? If there is and when you guys talk about stuff, you could just say that you have finally found a support group. Even when you guys are just talking about random things, you could try droping some hints about yourself. Like this, the onus is on them to make the next move, not on you. I know it is easier said then done, but this would be another way of coming out to them.

I hope this helps a bit.

6. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In addition to what Asteroid has already said, just remember that even if your flatmates are fine with it, I would make sure that you tell them before they have a chance to find occasions where you might have been hitting on them or something. I would tell them asap or not at all.

7. cjtom

cjtom Guest

Yeh I hear some straight guys have a tendancy to assume all gays are in love with them! And if they are really your friends I can see it not being a problem to your newly developed friendship! Although I agree that if you don't trust them completely I would wait!

Whatever you decide, Good Luck! :thumbsup:

8. gaius

gaius Guest

lol thanks all ive noticed that one of them has some gay friends anyway so im guessing hes unlikely to be a homophobe lolas for the other two ill start dropping hints lol