1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guess what!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by summersforecast, Dec 28, 2008.

1. summersforecast

Ok so I sittin gin my mom and dad's room where some of my sibling and my mom were. Somehow the subject of being gay comes up and my brothers all I hate gay people(I know right), but then my older sister said, "thats horrible" he said, "why?" she said, "BECAUSE GOD LOVES THEM," I was about to give her the biggest hug but that would be like coming out of the closet, which I'm not ready to do just yet. Then my mom got in and said "Ok lets stop talking about this, it's making some people in this house feel uncomfortable"(as If I wasn't even there, because she really suspects I'm gay but hasn't confronted me about it) Anyways I think I'm ready to come out to my oldest sister
    questions/comments/concerns/advice?!

2. Absentminded

Going by what she said, I'd say go for it.

3. EM68

Your sister sounds great. If you are comfortable with telling her, go for it! Good Luck!

4. summersforecast

Ok so I want to come out to her but how? I mean I'm not just going to go up to her and be like, "oh by the way I'm gay" so do you all have any advice?

5. EM68

Maybe try saying to her, you know the other day you said that god loves gays? Well would YOU still love me if I was gay? Something like that our write her a letter and bring up what she said.

6. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Maybe just bring up the conversation you guys had, then give her a hug (assuming you guys hug) and tell her that it meant a lot to you. Then just go from there.

7. summersforecast

Thank I think I'll try that but not in a note in person.

Thanks for the advice the only thing is my family isn't so big on huging

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

couldn't agree more here. it would be one less burden.

9. thebikelady

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    We aren't huggers either. I just sort of lean in a bit when someone tries to hug me.

10. ColdSnap

yeah, go for it

11. RaRa

You should totally go for it.

12. TheRoof

u should if u want to.
    hope everything goes well!!

13. Mickey

Ditto,go for it! Having an ally makes things that much easier.
    I think she would be flattered with the fact that she is the first one you've told
    and trust enough to tell.
    I hope all goes well. Let us know,we care.

14. sdc91

Yup. Maybe you could bring it up by mentioning that incident, saying you're gay and saying "thanks for standing up for me because it made me feel a lot better" or something.

15. Urman

Urman Guest

Go for it.But was your mother saying that to be mean?

16. gaius

gaius Guest

i'd go for it bring up the posotives she said and then tell her i would tell my brother but he has a habit of blurting out secrets by accident

17. silentsound

i would say go for your sister, then your mom. But only if you feel ready. I think my mom knows, but I don't want to tell her yet. That's ok, I'm taking my time. As far as how to go about it, it really depends on you. You might want to wait until another opportunity like that arises or make your own opportunity. You probly want to be alone at the time. Try not to beat around the bush too much- at some point you just have to blurt it out. If you're nervous, which I imagine you are, try practicing saying the words somewhere you can't be heard. Try to relax (and, although it sounds stupid, remember to breathe!) Print out some PFLAG stuff if you think it would help. PM me if you want to talk.
    With love, Silent

18. Urman

Urman Guest

sorry i miss read it you should come out

19. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

How are all your siblings?

I think you should tell your sister first, since she is from the same generation. Your mom sounds like she already knows, and has obviously already accepted it.

Have you thought about writing her a letter or email? that way you can explain what you need to, and then let her react to that.

Good luck!

20. summersforecast

I'm going to tell my older sister first like all of you told me bearing in mind the great advice thanks to all of you :icon_bigg My Mom knows but she's far from accepted it (were fighting constantly and she hates me) I think I'll come out to my little sister via e-mail(I'll do soemthing like send her, "I kissed a Boy" with a note attached) and I think the rest of my family will have to wait, especially my second oldest sister(she's a nun for god's sake I may never tell her)