1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to religous parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by mg34, Jun 5, 2007.

1. mg34

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I came out a year ago, I remember being so scared and frightened, I remember thinking why me? My father is a preacher and my Mother died when I was young so I always knew I was going to have an up hill battle. My dad since I was young had always believed that it's OK to be gay but it is not God's will and that HIV/AIDS was God's punishment to those who practised. Being an only child I knew I could never give him the Grandchildren he dreamed of. When I was 19 I suddenly decided in a pub for some reason to tell my best friend at the time (don't ask me why!) I whispered to her "I'm gay" whilst everyone was talking. Her response couldn't have been more positive, I finished college and my Dad offered to pay for me to go to uni. This was my perfect oppourtunity, I selected Brighton (known as the gay capital of Europe) I started Uni and was out all the way through & no one cared. My dad told me he was coming down for the weekend and for some reason I had this overwhelming urge to tell him (following the advice of many to do it in my own time), we went to lunch and we spoke for a while I then said "Dad I have something to tell you" I remember shaking so badly and for some reason not being able to say "I'm" instead i just shoued "gay" at the top of my lungs whilst everyone turned round and stared. He then looked up and simply said
    "I just need you to know I'll always love you"

2. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off Welcome to EC, a place of accpetance and support!:thumbsup:

Some time parents say things out of ignorance and with the notion that there is no way that their child or children are gay. All parents are like that until they know that they indeed do have a gay child. It forces them to look at their beliefs and in many ways question what they were taught.

It is great that he had a change of heart, even if it is only a small one, sometimes they are tha best ones. He had to choose who he loves more...you or the misguided teachings of religion. I also want to say congradulations on having the courage to tell him, I'm sure that was not easy and the fact that he chose you says something! I hope to see you here some more, it is a very friendly and helpful place!!!(&&&) :smilewave :smilewave

3. Sam

Sam

welcome to EC! congrats on telling your dad. my dad always said that he would disown any child of his that turned out to be gay but when I came out to him he completely did the opposite and accepted me I think it really is true that they have a certain belief about gay people until they actually find out that their child is gay. congrats again and stick around this place is great.

4. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol: lol that's funny. Good job on coming out to you dad. I'm happy he responded so lovingly :slight_smile:

What do you meannnn?!?! There's plenty of ways gay/lesbian couple can have children. He can still have your grandchildren! :eusa_danc

Oh and welcome to EC :slight_smile:

5. xxAngelOnFirexx

Wow that's great! my dad accepted me but he keeps talking to me as if i'm straight ("do you think that guys hot?" ect.). When i ask him about it he's like "ur not really gay." "you're only gay because you want to be" "yeah, right. we'll see in a few years" it's completely ridiculus! At least he 'accepts' me though. he's still in denial.

Oh yes i almost forgot... Welcome to EC!!

6. xequar

Congratulations! I'm glad it went smoothly for you (&&&)

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's wonderful! It's too bad all preachers of the "sins" of homosexuality don't have gay kids. Life would be so much better. <grin>

8. jpw062588

well i came out to my mom and she's religious but the reaction was weird

she suggested i have sex with a girl "Just to make sure"

im so confused?

9. ccdd

ccdd Guest

This is absolutely lovely :slight_smile:. I am so glad that you were able to come out to him, considering his religion and beliefs - such an enormous amount of courage!! Congratulations!! And I'm really happy by his reaction too. But I'm so impressed by your courage! Congrats!!