1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to my Mother and Grandmother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by dt85, Aug 24, 2015.

1. dt85

dt85 Guest

I came out to my mother last week. She confided an unrelated secret she'd been holding onto, and I used the opportunity to say "Mom, I'm gay!" I'd tried to talk to her in the past about believing I was bisexual and about questioning my gender, but in those instances she made derogatory, potentially offensive remarks. This time, coming out as gay, she accepted me and said she'd reacted the way she had in the past because she was afraid others would mistreat me if I came out.

I went back to college today, and I decided to call my grandmother on the drive home after class. She had called me a couple of years ago and asked if I was gay, and I denied it. I think the rumor had been circulating within my family. So today I reminded her of that previous call and told her it was true. She was also immediately accepting, and there was no drama to speak of.

I'm out to my grandmother, my mother, my therapist, and a couple of professors at the college I attend. I don't talk to anyone on my father's side of the family. For the most part, they are not very nice or understanding people. Even if I were not gay, I wouldn't communicate with them. There isn't much more coming out I need to do at the moment. It's only recently that I realized I feel the label gay to apply more than bisexual, which is not in any way meant to invalidate bisexuality; I have merely concluded that the former label feels more comfortable. I don't think I necessarily fall extremely to either end of the spectrum, but romantically I prefer men.

I suppose I could be more open in general on campus and in social situations. However, for now I'm pleased with the growth and progress I've made in my life.

2. hullaballoo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice to hear your mum and gran accepted you :slight_smile: and I'm glad you feel comfortable with your label uwu
    Aww the last two lines are so..yay good for you :3

3. dt85

dt85 Guest

Thank you! :slight_smile: