1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help Me Guys

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by dextersrocket, Jan 1, 2009.

1. dextersrocket

heya pals

over christams i have had two chances to come out to the parent ands i would love 2 be totally honest with them as i am in a relationship with a guy that i am very happy with and woudl love for him 2 be introduced to my family as i know they would love him . the only problem is that i keep botteling it when i go to tell them . it was constantly on my mind on xmas dya as i missed him .

i just dont knwo how 2 tell them . i am terrified of their reaction . they probably already know but its terrifying me when i actually come to tell them .

need some help guys

;(

2. EM68

Welcome to EC!

Try giving them a letter. That way all of your thoughts will be right there. I am planning to come out to my parents soon and I am going to give them a letter.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The best thing you can do is be prepared whether telling them in person or in a letter. Print off some PFLAG materials to give them or buy the book Now that You Know and give it to them when you tell them. Education is the key because really most people don't know much about homosexuality.

You can find the PFLAG materials here:

http://community.pflag.org/Page.aspx?pid=594&srcid=416

4. Mickey

I agree with the other posters. A letter may make it easier. You can take your time and really think what you want to say.
    I hope your coming out is positive! Good luck!

5. crystaltriforce

sorry i'm not that great at talking online and giving advice. if you send them a letter telling them that you'r gay i sugest that you should give them some time to let the news settle in and get used to it.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

As the posters above have mentioned, a letter might be the way to go. Coming out to parents is hard. Don’t worry about the previous times when you didn’t come out to them. It’s okay.

Writing a letter might actually help you to get ready to tell them in person. Writing it allows you to think about what you want to say and organize your thoughts. Given that you are in a relationship, a longer letter might be appropriate. As you mentioned, they might suspect and it is quite possible that they are waiting for you to say something, but at the same time they might not. The more you tell them, I think the better they will understand as to what you have gone through and where you are in your life. Make sure to let them know that you are happy with your life and that this is who you are. Also, and as Becky mentioned, include some PFLAG material and perhaps get the book that she mentioned for them.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

One thing I should ask - how old are you? That answer might give me a bit better idea as to how to approach it.

Lex

8. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

Maybe try to e-mail them if ur too nervous to tell them face to face and maybe try to give them hints that ur gay.hope that helps

#8 Witchcraft, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2009
  9. Lizz K

I think that the best way to do it is face to face, however I know how tough that can be. Maybe if you write down exactly what you want to say, as if it's a letter for them, and read it to them out loud. That way you don't have to struggle for the words and it eases a lot of the nerves for you. You seem fairly certain they'll be okay about it, so I say go for it!