1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at varsity (the short version)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by kibeth, Sep 18, 2015.

1. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I couldn't have been more wrong on what to expect from my varsity friends. A while back I just couldn't take it anymore. It just felt wrong to keep this part of myself from them and so I broke down and told them, one at a time.

And I mean literally broke down. It's not something that often happens. Guess I was just completely overwhelmed. I expected tough questions about reconciling my belief in God with being gay etc instead I just got acceptance and a "sorry" (for the one time she ranted about one of her then boyfriend's gay friends who's public displays of affection would make anyone uncomfortable and she generalized out of frustration) That is the point where I just crumble and (out of relief?) cried on her shoulder till I felt better again.

After that it became a little easier each time. I guess my point is in my fear of being judged I made assumptions based on their conservative upbringing and Christian beliefs. Doing exactly what I claim to despise.