1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to friends

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by n3e, Sep 24, 2015.

1. n3e

n3e

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I decided that I was feeling ready to tell everyone that I am friends with (which is a pretty small group of people right now). We get together occasionally for dinner/drinks and it had been a while since we had done that. I invited everyone out as one of us usually does, and luckily everyone was able to make it.

After we had all settled in and gotten drinks, I asked for everyones attention, because with that many people together, there is never really a point where the whole table falls silent. I got right to it and just said that I am gay, and I wanted to share with them because they are important to me.

I was almost immediately greeted by a round of high fives from the entire table, everyone was happy that I told them, and glad that I felt comfortable enough with them to discuss it. Then we joked for a bit about all the little excuses I had made for myself over the few years that I have known them. One of my friends and I had a more in depth conversation, only because he is the kind of person who is genuinely curious about the coming out process, and has known several other gay people.

At this point I have told everyone that I know excluding some people that are acquaintances, and if they ask about it, I will tell them. This is really where I wanted to get with my out status, so I am feeling good about that. I don't feel like every single person I have ever talked to needs to know, just those that are important to me. I realize that it is an ongoing process and still have a lot to work through, but I am feeling good right now.

It's nice to know that there are awesome people out there and I hope others are able to have coming out experiences that are similar to mine.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! I'm so glad your coming out has gone so well!!!!

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really pleased for you. I think it was a good way to tell people too because everyone present would have been influenced by the others reactions. Well done!