1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I told my parents tonight!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Liz81, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Liz81

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I did it!!!

First, I told my mom. I was just so frightened but I finally found the right opportunity. We were outside and she was checking out her texts. As soon as I found the time and the right mood when she finished checking, I told her. She said she didn't suspect anything which surprised me a bit but I did tell her. She was sooooooooo cool about it! She's very accepting of gay people, which I figured, and my being her daughter makes no difference to her at all. I asked her after knowing she was accepting if being her child made a difference as a parent and she said not at all. We talked about the gay people we knew and how accepting homosexuality has become in the last years, she asked me if there was someone, if I knew anyone who was gay, how long I knew etc.... I was just completely honest and answered her questions.

Then we went inside and I decided to tell my dad. I asked my mom to be there when I tell him for support. Same reaction! He was really, really cool about it. I thought he'd take it harder as opposed to my mom but they were equally supportive. He also asked me questions and just said whatever I wanted to do with my life was fine and I didn't need their permission because I'm an adult and old enough to know how to take care of myself. I was worried he'd make a big deal out of prejudice, my safety and all of that but he never mentioned any concerns at all. He was just cool about it and wanted to know if anyone else in the family knew and if I was planning to tell them. I decided to tell my sister (which I haven't done yet) and they believe she would be ok with it, despite her going to church and they know that gay people go to her church. Then I told them I didn't know who else I might tell but wanted to go through the process slowly and just start with my parents and sister (the 3 people in the family I'm closest to) then go from there. They said it's just my business and I don't have to tell everyone if I didn't want to. Personally, I know many gay people like to go out and announce it and make it well known to everyone but for me, my sexuality is my business and those close to me so I'm not going to go out in public and announce it. Of course, if they ask, I'm not going to lie to them and if they have a problem with it, then screw them. I thought they'd be concerned about what others thought if they knew about me but they didn't. They know how well accepting this is nowadays. Once I was done, my dad said, "it's easy to come out!" Well maybe for some people but in this case, it was easy. My parents just made it really easy and I am so relieved about it. So let me tell you.... it's more accepting now and it's getting a bit easier. I think it's actually easier than most people think but you have to know the people you come out to before you do it.

Anyway, I'm so happy and relieved right now that I finally got the courage to do it. I have anxiety issues and I think this is a new beginning for me. If I can do this, then I can be more confident in just about everything else in life without being afraid.

So... if you want to come out, just do it! Unless you really do not know the person, coming out is actually easier than it seems. It really is. Oh, and it's not a bad idea to "test the water" first. You know, talk about GLBT stuff, ask how they feel about it, ask if they knew someone was gay would they be ok with it etc... That's what I did. I just worked my way up, testing the water and stuff like that and finally did it. Now I know if I have any problems with people who don't accept gay people, I have my parents and of course, this forum, too.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Congratulations! :slight_smile:

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats~! ^.^

5. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gongrats - brave girl!

so glad you have good parents!

6. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Congrats!I can't even tell my parents.I kinda came out to ny dad but it is not in my out stays because I came out to my dad and h blurted it to my dad so it is not official.I will have to talk to him myself.

So glad your parents were ok with it!They are very supportive.My dad keeps saying y bisexuality is a "phase".Sorry if I am blurting on about my own problems lol!

7. Qaz

Qaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Good job and good luck with your future coming out experiences.

8. Liz81

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks everyone!

It's been 48 hours now since I came out to my parents and I was worried my parents would back away from me or treat me different but they haven't. They just treat me like I'm the same person because... well, I am!

Right after I came out, I suddenly didn't feel turned on by either women or men which was weird for but that only lasted a few hours. Maybe it was just anxiety or the relief of finally coming out. I'm relieved my parents know and I don't have to hide from them anymore and I can talk to them about more things now without them judging me.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been so stressed almost every night when (my mom's been out of town til last week) my mom was home. When she's not home, I'm stressed and anxious about coming out and wondering when she'll get home. Then when she gets home, I'm almost freaking out and trying to figure out how to get the nerve to do it or just really anxious to get it done. I knew one night soon when the time was right, I had to do it. Either do it or have a heart attack from stressing out about it for weeks, months or years! So it hasn't been easy in the last couple of weeks. Now she comes home from work in the last 48 hours and it feels good to finally feel relaxed again and not stressed anymore because the secret is now out. The heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I had planned once I came out to just start looking for a date or more gay people to hang out with but I haven't done that yet. I guess it's because I'm still getting used to being out to my parents so in a way, I'm still processing it, maybe. I've been keeping busy but now I've been tired from the stress lol. So I'm just taking it all in and doing my things and relaxing one step at a time and getting used to being out of the closet now that my parents know. I'll find a date later lol. It's not like you can really force it. It just happens. If it happens, then great but if not, then it doesn't. I just don't want to stress anymore.

Anyone ever experience anything like this soon after being out to your parents?

9. Pouletto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to congratulate you! It's inspiring!

10. Jmiller85

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congratulations

11. Natasha Elyssa

Awesome! :slight_smile: ^-^ <3 <3