1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i honestly dont feel like i deserve my gradmother...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jonah 4, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I come from a fairly conservative family, both of my grandmothers and two(of 3) of my grandmothers are die-hard republicans. That said, I'm relatively close to all of them but especially to the lone democrat of my family. (she's probably the person im closests too period, friends included)

Anyway, my gramdmother has always been supportive of me and always been there for me. Despite being one of 13 grandchildren and just as many great-grandchildren(she's 79 soon to be 80) I guess I have been the golden child. I've even been on a cruise with them. The other day we were having a conversation about my cousin's girlfriend which has caused a lot of problems in the family. My aunt(her mother) has had a lot of issues with whats going on and believes that its merely to get attention.(most of my family actually believes this) That said, my aunt has never really accepted her daughter and so when my mom, grandmother and my other two aunts on that side supported by cousin my aunt got really upset and hasn't talked to the family since. So, I guess I figured this would be a good barometer to get my grandmothers feelings on the subject of homosexuality. I asked how she felt about it and she told me that she could never understand how anyone could possibly disown their child and that even if she doesn't agree with what they do she will love them no mattter what. I nearly broke down then.
    Unfortunately, when the whole conversation had come up it was late and I had to leave so fastforward to today.

My grandmother has been in the hospital for the past two days because of a blood clot in her lung(her first one) and pnemonia. Needless to say I've been worried but thankfully they are expecting her to recover and be out of the hospital in a few days.

Since I'm going back to college tommorow it would be the last chance I would have to come out to her before sprinbreak so it was a must. After talking to her for hours though I couldn't really get the courage to say anything until the end.

Anyway, heres the conversation
    me "You know you mean the world to me and I feel so lucky to have you"
    her "I'm lucky to have you as a grandson too"
    conversation trails off
    me "It's been depressing..."
    her "what"(concerned look)
    me "I'm gay and well I've been trying to be someone I'm not"
    her "oh...you know I love you no matter what....I think you should wait you know it
    it might change but I still love you"
    me " thanks I'm so lucky...if I ever become famous I promise you I'm going to
    write a book about you"(some laughter here) "
    her "thank you"

my aunt saw her just a little later and said that while she was teary-eyed that she was quickly back to her chippy mood.

I guess I just feel so lucky to have a grandmother that is so open minded.
    I know a lot of people of her generation are racist, bigoted, and hell fire and brimstonish.

But despite being a southerner she has always had friends of different races. The other day she was telling me about this lady in the 60's. She said no one would talk to her because she was black but that she thought they were all stupid and befriended the lady. She even claims the black lady was the hardest worker and best all around person there.

She was raised a baptist - and demonstrably hurt by them but even though she's not that big of a fan of them or Catholics she believes that it doesn't matter what church(or maybe even religion? :eek:slight_smile: you attend but what kind of person you are. Besides this she's stood up for the female pastors in the church, and well all of them really even when the elders and board members do whatever they can to get rid of them. (she's a lutheran now)

And now this. I guess, she's always been so inspiring to me and despite all of her faults I just feel lucky. Anyway just wanted to share this awesome experience.

2. Lychee

Wow, what a super-awesome grandma :]

My grandparents are so... narrow minded.

I'm really glad it went really well and you have someone that you can feel that close to :slight_smile:

3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow what a great story. It's cool you have such an accepting grandma and I know you cherish every moment you're with her. I was incredibly close with my grandma while she was alive. It really sounds like you two have one of the best relationships two people can have. :slight_smile:

4. Jim1454

That's a nice story - but with a totally inappropriate thread title!!!

You totally deserve your grandmother - she said so herself. So don't sell yourself short. Many of her grandchildren and great grandchildren likely didn't go to see her in the hospital at all. I'm glad you went, and shared your news with her. Way to go!

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I agree with Jim! You are lucky to have eachother. :slight_smile:

6. Magnet

That's such a lovely story :slight_smile: