1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my therapist!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by NeonPelican, Oct 27, 2015.

1. NeonPelican

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my therapist last week. I was really nervous because he was the first person that I've told in person. Everybody else that I've told are my online gaming buds. First we talked about some other issues and then he asked me what else was on my mind. I told him there is one thing and that I had been repressing for years that I just needed to talk to him about. He wasn't pushy or trying to figure out what it was when I told him that, he just sat there and waited for me to tell him.

I started shaking really bad and I couldn't even look at him. I've never really said it outloud. I started to feel nauseous and my anxiety was kicked into full gear. I got so overwhelmed that I just sat there with my head in my hands and then I totally chickened out and asked him if I could write it down and pass him the paper.

He handed me the paper and I kind of just stared at it for a moment, then I wrote down in scribbly writing "I'm not straight". I hesitated for a moment and then I handed it to him and started crying.

I can't really remember exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of "Well that's okay" and then fluttered me with supportive words and talked about how far society has come with that kind of stuff. There was no judgment in his eyes, no dirty looks, no hateful words. Just compassion and understanding. I know it's his job not to judge but I've been to 4 different therapists and you can tell the ones who care from the ones who don't.

So I think it went pretty well

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! Therapy is such an important way to work through things as you go through the coming-out process. It really seems like you've found a good place

3. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. littleraven

That's great. :thumbsup:

Therapists and counselors are often very accepting. I was still a little nervous coming out to mine, too. I said "I don't just like guys" and I was crying. Everything turned out well though.

Congrats. (*hug*)