1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At last, I did the thing!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Oddsocks, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out about my pronouns to my girlfriend and best friend!

It's the weirdest thing to be celebrating - both of them know the situation with my gender and have done pretty much since we met (and my friend is trans himself with a bunch of friends of every gender identity under the sun) and yet this felt like a really big deal.

I've been super wishy-washy with my pronoun talk even with even them until now, lots of 'I'm still okay with 'she' though so don't worry about it too much,' and disclaimering. And while I am genuinely okay with it, recently she/her pronouns have been one of the major triggers for my stressing out and overthinking what the hell my gender is. And all of it shuts up the instant someone calls me 'they'.

It's crazy to not have it on my mind 24/7 any more. I still have twinges of gender-related overthinking, but now I've actually gone for it and stated the pronouns I want (and at this point, I could almost say I needed them) it's just got so much better than it's been for a long time. I can only hope it stays that way!

So I'm really glad I did it. And maybe things will change, but for now I know that moving exclusively to 'they' (even if it's only with my friends because I am not remotely prepared to be out in my work environment) is exactly what I need at the moment. And now I have it, and I'm so glad. :slight_smile:

2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congratulations! If it's a big deal for you, then it is most definitely an important thing and worthy of celebration. I'm glad you were able to do this and that it is a positive step forward for you. Take care and hopefully things continue to look up from here on out (*hug*)