1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out on facebook!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Riz, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Riz

Riz

Now this might not seem like much but since I'm socially awkward and rarely leaves the house, almost all my friends and people I know are on facebook or similar.

I haven't exactly been hiding being trans the last year or so, kind of talking about it when the topic comes up or if anyone asks me... But I eventually noticed a bit of confusion so I made a post about it today explaining including my preferred pronouns.

So far I've only had very heartwarmning positive reactions and I'm not worries at all. I surround myself with grat people ^__^

Now to actually coming out to my family and starting to be brave enough to use male pronous whenever irl is another thing...

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It doesn't matter how you come out, or which medium you use, it still takes courage. It's fantastic that your post was greeted with heartwarming responses, and that everyone supports you.

The support/acceptance others have offered you, will help you in getting ready to come out to your family. You have taken a big step, let it sink in, and then maybe think about what would be the next best step. :slight_smile:

3. Riz

Riz

Thank you.
    However I did something drastic and told my mother (which is the only one in my family that will grasp the reality of it anyway) through email. Since she've been asking for quite a while now why I'm waiting for get therapy in such a far away city (closest gender identity clinic is 3h away)
    I know she's at work and probably just haven't had time to reply. But even though I know she's supportive, I've also heard her made a comment "why these people would do this to themselves". I shouldn't think too much about it but she might be less supportive when it's her own child not her childs idols, friends or whatever... (I talk about trans people a lot)

So now I'm panicking, I'm mostly scared she will think I have enough problems. That I shouldn't make life harder for myself than it already is. Which is true but we all know that it isn't as easy, that it's worse to live as a lie.
    Or that she simply will not take me seriously. Since I was going to this in my early teenage years and eventually "stopped", which was just pure denial because of society pushing their gender roles at me ugh I feel horrible.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! While your mom might have said things that sounded off, it still seems though that she would be supportive. Sometimes people say things that once they have thought about it again, wish they would not have said.

As you have talked to her about transgender people before, the comment itself might have been even a response to a possible fear that she might have had herself. It could be more the fear of the unknown than anything else or her not being supportive.

Has she said anything after coming home from work? (*hug*)