1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my parents!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by hedgehog, Dec 5, 2015.

1. hedgehog

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So last night, I decided that it was time to stop hiding and be my true self around home. After many minutes of stalling, I decided to give the letter that I had written 3 months ago that explained how I realised I was gay.

I first gave it to my dad, and after he read it, he said that it was alright and he hugged me then gave it to my mum. I was slightly worried about her reaction because she is quite religious etc. But after about 5 mins of crying, she said that she accepts me and that I am still her daughter no matter what!

We then talked together for a bit and we all cried and dad said that 'it's your life so you can make whatever choice you want' (he thinks it's a choice) but I'm just glad that I was able to come out to them and they were very accepting of me :slight_smile:

To people who are struggling to come out: just remember that they will always love you - they are your parents. It's always better than you expect it but only come out if you know it's safe to come out; don't force yourself out - you will know when you're ready (and trust me it feels so good)

Thank you to everyone who helped me on EC :slight_smile:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It absolutely wonderful that you decided to come out when you did, and that your parents reacted so positively, with love and encouragement of being yourself. Well done.

Your story will inspire someone else to do the same. :slight_smile: