1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm out to everyone but my family. Is that wierd?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by dragonman1512, Jan 24, 2009.

1. dragonman1512

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So a few months back I told my best friend Aimee that I'm bi. She was cool and made a joke about us checking out guys together. Well then about a week ago I told my friend Roslyn because she's bi. Then I kinda just started telling everyone. Like it was this dam and I took it down so the water rushed out, ya know? The thing is, as happy as I am to come out to my friends, I just can't bring myself to tell my family. I don't know why. My 'rents have always said they'd accept us (me and my three bros) if we were gay or bi. And my brothers would probably just make jokes. But I still just can't tell them. I changed my myspace status to bi hoping I wouldn't have to tell them, but they never said anything. Just wondering what you all think. Is it wierd I can't tell my family?:bang:

2. Lychee

Not weird at all. Most of my friends know (basically, whoever asked) but I can definitely not tell my mum, who is extremely... well not homophobic, but bi-phobic (does not like or accept bisexuals, she thinks it's a stage)
    Usually its easier to tell friends because if they don't accept you, you can just move on - not quite so easy with family.
    Good luck :slight_smile: Your family seem like they'd be cool with it, so you're lucky in that aspect

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's not weird at all. My parents were the last people that I told. A lot of people feel way more comfortable coming out to peers than family, because family are often the ones who have the most intense reactions, and because they probably have more expectations for and predictions about your life.

4. foxkid777

nope thats is not weird at all cause its actually quite common like for me i would tell like all my friends, but sometimes i feel that was a mistake, well anyways yah i can't bring myself to tell my parents about me being bi cause its hard since they raised you and it will feel devestating that the people that should love you the most are the ones that might stop loving you or try to change you, but im sure if your parents did say that they wouldn't care about their sons are bi or gay they meant it so just give it a shot =]

5. dragonman1512

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    thanks all of you who replied. they helped me alot. i feel better. i think i will tell my parents sometime this year. that gives me a broad time frame.

btw lychee and firecausesburn your signatures are awesome!

6. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I'm out to alot of people, just not my parents...it's not weird.

7. TheRoof

no its not wierd. in my case, it was ironically my family who found out first even before i told my friends -_- i would have definitely come out to my family last-but that never happened lol

8. 1974

completely agree family are the hardest to tell, i am only out to my sster in the family my parents i think know something but im waiting for the right time. The rest of my friend spretty much do now.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is not weird. As it was mentioned above, coming out to parents is many ways is the hardest thing we do. Even though we might have some clues and know that they will be okay with it, there are still parts of us that go against it.

Often not being able to tell is a sign that we might not be ready to take that step. You have mentioned that you have come out to a couple of friends. Are there other friends to whom you could come out to?

What could also help before you come out to your parents, try coming out to one of your brothers. This could help you to get ready for coming out to your parents. Give it a thought if this might help you a bit.

But remember, even if it takes you more time to come out to your parents/brothers, it is perfectly alright. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with.

10. Apocalypte

I'm in exactly the same position, I'm out to everyone except my family. I really wish I could come out to my family, but it's just really, really awkward!

11. JustBecause

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think it's weird at all. Most of my family doesn't know that I'm bi, and I just came out to my mom... last night? Two nights ago? Of course, I'm married and have never really had a girlfriend, so there was no reason for it to come up before, and as my husband and I are soulmates, I doubt I'd ever be in a position to have to tell them. I just kinda dropped on her too, like "oh, by the way, I'm bi...". I don't know, it was kinda weird, and I certainly don't plan to come out to any other family members, but I thought my mom should at least know. Come to think of it, I don't even know really why I told her... there's no reason for her to know, and generally that's how I view coming out. Just the same as if, I dunno, I was taking a cooking class or something. If it never comes up, there's no reason for it to be brought up, I guess. And again, since I'm married to a man, the likelyhood of it coming up with family is nil, because I don't talk about my sex life to my family period.... except kinda my mom.

I hope this all makes sense. I'm new here and dealing with a lot surrounding my husband coming out as bi to me and questions about my acceptance of my own sexuality, so I don't know if my thoughts make as much sense as they should. And I'm not used to openly talking about it except with a few close bi friends, so the whole 'baring my soul on the internet' is kinda intimidating... but yeah. I don't think you're weird at all, and I don't see any reason your family needs to know until you bring someone they aren't expecting home to meet him. Personally, I know if I told my brother, he'd just be like, "I don't want to know about your sex life. Period." So... whatever, you know?

12. Miles D

no, it's not weird :slight_smile:
    i told my friends before my family. i started coming out to my friends in 8th grade, but only told my parents in october, about three years later.
    :grin:

13. gaius

gaius Guest

im out to everyone but family its not weird lol and by the amount of posts here i thinks its normal