1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandparents - My Continuing Coming Out Story Pt. 2

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by GayPugs, Jan 2, 2016.

1. GayPugs

Okay, so, I was talking to my grandma when I just happened to say, "when I marry my girlfriend-" (I won't say how this came up 'cuz I don't actually remember xD) she looked at me like, "Are you insane?!" then she looked at my 5-year-old cousin like, "I just hope she doesn't say THAT WORD." ("that word" being gay, or, actually in this case, lesbian) so, she didn't say anything and just smiled stupidly. Luckily, I won't be seeing her again for a while. :slight_smile: My grandpa seemed a little bit more excepting. I told him I had my first kiss WITH MY GIRLFRIEND and he did, like, a double take then he looked at me and said, "Great!" So, now I have to just come out to the other set. Ugh. My other grandparents are super excepting so I don't know why I'm so afraid to tell them. I was gonna bring my notebook to show them las Thanksgiving because I've been promising for a while now that I'd show them my drawings at some point but I purposefully left it home instead because it has a picture of my girlfriend in it with a bunch of hearts around her. When I realized how stupid this all was I was just like :eusa_doh: why are they more scary to open up to then my other stupid homophobic grandparents?? Anybody got any theories? Anyway, I'll update you. Bye-bye!

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

General theory for anything: People are constantly looking for validation so in coming out to the phobic people it's as if you're looking to change their mind and get validated. The people who already accept you, you don't need validation from them, so it's just not discussed.

I know this doesn't relate to grandparents, but maybe you should have a nice talk with your cousin so they don't become homophobic, because they might internalize it from the grandparents.

If you're just generally embarrassed to show them the picture of your girlfriend, perhaps just ask them to skip over that page or pull it away from them when they're reaching that point. They'll probably ask you why you did that and if you want to, you can tell them.

On an anological note, I can watch horror films but not cartoons ... maybe the scarier things aren't scary at all because you expect them to be scary.

#2 Secrets5, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  3. GayPugs

Thanks. ^^ This is some nice advice. I was really just looking to vent a li'l but that advice will definitely help me!