1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the aftermath

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by curiousdude, Jan 30, 2009.

1. curiousdude

So I came out to my wife this summer. It was the single scariest thing I've ever done and the moment was surreal. She was great--not surprisingly, she wasn't shocked. The difficulty is that she has continued to insist that "I need to figure out what I want," meaning that I need to decide whether I want to stay married or not. For a while it was very intense with lots of talking that seemed to go nowhere. We got so far as to plan out options post-separation with respect to our young daughter.

We sort of got tired of rehashing, I guess, and we've sunken back into the status quo. To us that's lots of positive interaction around our daughter with both of us too busy with her and our work to really sort things out. What's become clear, oddly enough, is that I think she's less happy than I am with the status quo.

I'm beginning to think that what keeps us together is a combination of: (1) fear of being alone; (2) concern about the impact on our daughter; and (3) the challenge of rebuilding separate lives.

I vacillate from feeling boxed in to wanting to just roll back the clock and take it all back. But then I remember why I came out to her in the first place. I was concerned because she was taking my disinterest in intimacy to some failing of hers. I thought letting her know would be something of a relief, which it might of been initially, but now we seem to be in limbo.

The next step will be hard. And given how long it took me to come to grips with things, I feel like maybe I should give her some time to fully accept it and get to a place of wanting change. Or does this just promote denial? The fact that I've never been a big "talker" doesn't help--I'm now realizing that part of that was probably a defense mechanism to keep people from finding out too much.

This is exhausting.

2. Mickey

First,welcome to the EC family.There are wonderful people here,so feel free to look around .
    I think you two need to really come to some conclusion. The longer you live the way you are,the harder it will be ,for all concerned.Your daughter will be just fine,as long as she knows you both love her and you maintain a good friendship with each other.
    Good luck,I know it's hard,but in order to be truly happy,you need to live the life you were meant to live.

3. kayar

Wow! I feel your dilema.

Forgive me, but I have this nagging thought somewhere deep in my psyche. I find myself wondering if in fact you had been sub-consiously longing to 'come out' for quite some time (perhaps driven by your natural sense of honesty and sincerity), and that your wife's reaction to the 'indifference' to intimacy you displayed (as you mentioned) gave you the much needed motive you had been seeking. Please, please forgive me if I'm wholly wrong here.

However, the journey you have begun cannot now be 'undone'. I'm sure you will know that, but be comforted that as your journey progresses, you will develop personally and become capable of being so much more to your wife and to your child. You have the ability and the skills to form a new basis for the relationship you have with your wife, but it will only happen when you are both ready to accept it.

You have done excellent, so far. Good luck.

:thumbsup:

4. curiousdude

Thanks for the encouragement! I have been struggling for a while and I think you're right that on some level I wanted a reason or opportunity to come out. Initially, it felt like such a weight had been lifted--similar to when I finally looked into the mirror, said the words and had chills run up my spine.

I guess I sort of figured that once my wife knew, we would quickly move toward resolution. I hadn't counted on all these other emotions playing into it, and I honestly didn't expect that my wife would have any interest in staying together with no promise of greater sexual intimacy.

Most recently, I think we're both realizing that we're each going to want more out of a relationship. There's a tremendous sadness at the thought of ending a 10-year marriage, especially when we do love each other and want to share the experiences with our daughter. We now both have to get to a place where we can look beyond what is and toward what can be.

5. Stuie

There was a Doctor Phil episode about a guy in a similar position to you, only the daughter hated the father for being gay. It could possibly be worth a watch, but I have little faith in Doctor Phil really.
    Good luck!